New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Maximize current window completely to hide background in Macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jerrymouse

jerrymouse is on a distinguished road

While working on Mac, I open several windows. Each window has some leftover blank space on right side. This is a huge problem while panning the page using the scroll bar. Often I click outside the scroll bar and inadvertently switch to background window. To overcome this, I have to manually drag the current window as far right as possible to remove blank space.

Is there a more elegant way to do this?
QUOTE Thanks
J.Fo

J.Fo is a jewel in the roughJ.Fo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, late 2012 model, 21"

Do you know which version of the operating system you're running?

QUOTE Thanks
jerrymouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Fo View Post
Do you know which version of the operating system you're running?
config-
10.6.6 MacOSX Snow Leopard
4GB Ram, Intel Core 2 Duo
QUOTE Thanks
jerrymouse

I found this app BetterTouchTool. It lets me define a keyboard shortcut to maximize a window fully, without leaving black spaces on either sides.
  1. Download app and open preferences by clicking its icon (boxed index finger) in the menu bar at the top of your screen.
  2. Select 'Keyboard' tab
  3. Select 'Global' in Applications on right
  4. Finally choose Keyboard shortcut and Predefined Action.
I chose the following keyboard shortcuts, which I found safest and non overlapping:
  1. Control ↑ Maximize Window
  2. Control ← Maximize Window Left
  3. Control → Maximize Window Right
  4. Control ↓ Maximize window to bottom half
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

You can resize the window then click the green Zoom button at the top left to toggle between the default size and your custom size. This usually works, but not always.

You could also download RightZoom, a little tool that makes the Zoom button work just like the Maximize button in Windows.

Or you can upgrade to Lion, which has a truly full-screen button on the top right, making any app take up the entire screen, menu bar, dock and all.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« SSD Help? | problem with syncing hotmail with Apple mail »