Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Copy and Paste

Copy and Paste
    As a long time windows user I am used to copy and paste files. There is no direct equivalent in OSX Lion as far as I know (which sadly to say is not very far).
    A work around is first to duplicate the file and then drag the duplicated file to the desired directory and then finally rename it to the original name.
    Question: Is there a better way ????
    John

Specs:
    21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
    There is a Move feature, but it's hidden at first. Right click on the file you want to move and copy it. Navigate to the new location. While holding down the Option key, right click in the folder. There should be an option that says "Move Item Here". Choose that and there you go!

It's basically the same as in Windows, except you have to hold the Option key as paste the item.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
    There is a Move feature, but it's hidden at first. Right click on the file you want to move and copy it. Navigate to the new location. While holding down the Option key, right click in the folder. There should be an option that says "Move Item Here". Choose that and there you go!

It's basically the same as in Windows, except you have to hold the Option key as paste the item.
    This works well to move a file, but is not different from just dragging the file to the new location. It does not work to copy a file to another directory, maintaining the original file in its original directory.
    John

Specs:
    Mac OSX 10.7.3: MBP 15" Early 2011 2.0GHz i7, 8GB, 500GB 5400RPM
    Lion has Copy and Paste. If you press Command + C you are ready to copy. Go to new location. If you press Command + V you will copy a version of the file to this location. If you press Command + Option + V then you get a cut and paste.

Specs:
    Imac 27", 3.3GHz, 512 flash storage, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra.
    Or simply go into Edit in the Menu Bar.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Or on your trackpad, if you have one, just enable the right click feature and all you have to do is tap it with 2 fingers, which displays the right click menu. Under system preferences, click trackpad, then select secondary click.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigstick View Post
    Lion has Copy and Paste. If you press Command + C you are ready to copy. Go to new location. If you press Command + V you will copy a version of the file to this location. If you press Command + Option + V then you get a cut and paste.
    Thanks, This works fine.
    The other comment made by harryb "simple go into Edit in the menu bar" is out of my reach. I don't know what is meant by this.
    John

Specs:
    21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
    Do you have right-clicking enabled on your mouse? If so, you just right-click on a file and choose "Copy" from the context menu that pops up. Then navigate to wherever you want to paste the file, right-click again and choose "Paste".

What harryb meant is that the usual edit functions (cut, copy, paste, etc) are also found under the Edit menu in your menu bar, which runs along the top of your screen. With a Finder window open and the file you want to copy selected, click on the Edit menu and there you can access Copy and Paste from the drop-down list.

So basically there are three ways you can copy and paste a file: by right-clicking on it, using the Edit menu in your top menu bar, or using the shortcut keys. It depends on what's easiest for you. But you won't be able to right click on anything unless it's been enabled in your mouse settings in System Preferences.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by jott View Post
    As a long time windows user I am used to copy and paste files. There is no direct equivalent in OSX Lion as far as I know (which sadly to say is not very far).
    A work around is first to duplicate the file and then drag the duplicated file to the desired directory and then finally rename it to the original name.
    Question: Is there a better way ????
    John

I think you haven't enable your trackpad right click gesture.
    FOLLOW THIS IF YOU USE TRACKPAD
    System Preferences
    Trackpad
    Point & Click tab
    Tick the check box on "Secondary Click".
    you should be able to use/view copy and paste.

FOLLOW THIS IF YOU USE MAGIC MOUSE
    System Preferences
    Mouse
    Point & Click tab
    Tick the check box on "Secondary Click".
    you should be able to use/view copy and paste.

OR USE SHORT CUT KEYS as mentioned by @pigstick.
    command+C - copy
    command+X - cut
    command+V - paste

Quote Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
    Do you have right-clicking enabled on your mouse? If so, you just right-click on a file and choose "Copy" from the context menu that pops up. Then navigate to wherever you want to paste the file, right-click again and choose "Paste".

What harryb meant is that the usual edit functions (cut, copy, paste, etc) are also found under the Edit menu in your menu bar, which runs along the top of your screen. With a Finder window open and the file you want to copy selected, click on the Edit menu and there you can access Copy and Paste from the drop-down list.
    Right clicking on a file does not do anything. Left or right clicking only selects the file.
    You have to right click the 5th icon on the menu bar. See attachment. I presume you associate this icon with the Edit menu.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Specs:
    2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
    Hi,

Right clicking on a file does not do anything. Left or right clicking only selects the file.
    Not sure why right click copy and paste is not available to you, I can do this with just one file or holding down the cmd key multiple files.

Specs:
    15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
    Then you're not right clicking correctly. Right clicking always brings up copy. There are many ways to either copy/paste or simply cut/move.

Set the trackpad to right click by making sure that tap to click is enabled * trackpad preferences* and use two fingers to gently tap the trackpad. That is right click. One gentle tap is left click.

Doug

Mysterious things are happening here. Repeated selections of the "testfile" finaly producedv the desired puldown menu. No matter how often I repeated the selection, it never again failrd to produce the pulldown menu. Hover, once in a while it produced a different pulldown menu. I did not do anything different, just selected the testfile in the same way.
    If I wanted to produce this odd pulldown menu, I would not know how to go about to generate it in a deliberate way. Only by repeated selection could I get it. Maybe once out of 10 or 20 tries.
    Any ideas how this is generated???
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by jott View Post
    Mysterious things are happening here. Repeated selections of the "testfile" finaly producedv the desired puldown menu. No matter how often I repeated the selection, it never again failrd to produce the pulldown menu. Hover, once in a while it produced a different pulldown menu. I did not do anything different, just selected the testfile in the same way.
    If I wanted to produce this odd pulldown menu, I would not know how to go about to generate it in a deliberate way. Only by repeated selection could I get it. Maybe once out of 10 or 20 tries.
    Any ideas how this is generated???
    John.
    I think that is because you double-clicked on the actual filename and it highlighted itself in blue as shown in your image. Here you can manually rename the filename by typing over the existing one.

Have you also considered using the "Make Alias" function ? The Alias file can then be stored in a different place and will constantly update itself when you change the original.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
    @jott, you CLICK the file name and then you right-click on it. That's why you are getting that blue color.

DO THIS
    -click on the file icon then right click on it. DO NOT CLICK THE FILE NAME because you will accidentally double click it.

Careful with double click and click. They give completely different result.

Thread Information