New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Copy and Paste

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jott

jott is on a distinguished road

As a long time windows user I am used to copy and paste files. There is no direct equivalent in OSX Lion as far as I know (which sadly to say is not very far).
A work around is first to duplicate the file and then drag the duplicated file to the desired directory and then finally rename it to the original name.
Question: Is there a better way ????
John
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

There is a Move feature, but it's hidden at first. Right click on the file you want to move and copy it. Navigate to the new location. While holding down the Option key, right click in the folder. There should be an option that says "Move Item Here". Choose that and there you go!

It's basically the same as in Windows, except you have to hold the Option key as paste the item.
QUOTE Thanks
jott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
There is a Move feature, but it's hidden at first. Right click on the file you want to move and copy it. Navigate to the new location. While holding down the Option key, right click in the folder. There should be an option that says "Move Item Here". Choose that and there you go!

It's basically the same as in Windows, except you have to hold the Option key as paste the item.
This works well to move a file, but is not different from just dragging the file to the new location. It does not work to copy a file to another directory, maintaining the original file in its original directory.
John
QUOTE Thanks
Pigstick

Pigstick is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac OSX 10.7.3: MBP 15" Early 2011 2.0GHz i7, 8GB, 500GB 5400RPM

Lion has Copy and Paste. If you press Command + C you are ready to copy. Go to new location. If you press Command + V you will copy a version of the file to this location. If you press Command + Option + V then you get a cut and paste.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Or simply go into Edit in the Menu Bar.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
TBABill

TBABill is on a distinguished road

Or on your trackpad, if you have one, just enable the right click feature and all you have to do is tap it with 2 fingers, which displays the right click menu. Under system preferences, click trackpad, then select secondary click.
QUOTE Thanks
jott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigstick View Post
Lion has Copy and Paste. If you press Command + C you are ready to copy. Go to new location. If you press Command + V you will copy a version of the file to this location. If you press Command + Option + V then you get a cut and paste.
Thanks, This works fine.
The other comment made by harryb "simple go into Edit in the menu bar" is out of my reach. I don't know what is meant by this.
John
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Do you have right-clicking enabled on your mouse? If so, you just right-click on a file and choose "Copy" from the context menu that pops up. Then navigate to wherever you want to paste the file, right-click again and choose "Paste".

What harryb meant is that the usual edit functions (cut, copy, paste, etc) are also found under the Edit menu in your menu bar, which runs along the top of your screen. With a Finder window open and the file you want to copy selected, click on the Edit menu and there you can access Copy and Paste from the drop-down list.

So basically there are three ways you can copy and paste a file: by right-clicking on it, using the Edit menu in your top menu bar, or using the shortcut keys. It depends on what's easiest for you. But you won't be able to right click on anything unless it's been enabled in your mouse settings in System Preferences.
QUOTE Thanks
CebuCity

CebuCity will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by jott View Post
As a long time windows user I am used to copy and paste files. There is no direct equivalent in OSX Lion as far as I know (which sadly to say is not very far).
A work around is first to duplicate the file and then drag the duplicated file to the desired directory and then finally rename it to the original name.
Question: Is there a better way ????
John

I think you haven't enable your trackpad right click gesture.
FOLLOW THIS IF YOU USE TRACKPAD
System Preferences
Trackpad
Point & Click tab
Tick the check box on "Secondary Click".
you should be able to use/view copy and paste.

FOLLOW THIS IF YOU USE MAGIC MOUSE
System Preferences
Mouse
Point & Click tab
Tick the check box on "Secondary Click".
you should be able to use/view copy and paste.

OR USE SHORT CUT KEYS as mentioned by @pigstick.
command+C - copy
command+X - cut
command+V - paste
QUOTE Thanks
jott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
Do you have right-clicking enabled on your mouse? If so, you just right-click on a file and choose "Copy" from the context menu that pops up. Then navigate to wherever you want to paste the file, right-click again and choose "Paste".

What harryb meant is that the usual edit functions (cut, copy, paste, etc) are also found under the Edit menu in your menu bar, which runs along the top of your screen. With a Finder window open and the file you want to copy selected, click on the Edit menu and there you can access Copy and Paste from the drop-down list.
Right clicking on a file does not do anything. Left or right clicking only selects the file.
You have to right click the 5th icon on the menu bar. See attachment. I presume you associate this icon with the Edit menu.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2012-05-12_18-49-20.png (114.5 KB, 72 views)
QUOTE Thanks
newscribe

newscribe has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad

Hi,

Quote:
Right clicking on a file does not do anything. Left or right clicking only selects the file.
Not sure why right click copy and paste is not available to you, I can do this with just one file or holding down the cmd key multiple files.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg copy.jpg (78.2 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg Paste.jpg (74.9 KB, 69 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Then you're not right clicking correctly. Right clicking always brings up copy. There are many ways to either copy/paste or simply cut/move.

Set the trackpad to right click by making sure that tap to click is enabled * trackpad preferences* and use two fingers to gently tap the trackpad. That is right click. One gentle tap is left click.

Doug
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2012-05-12 at 8.22.03 PM.png (108.2 KB, 67 views)
QUOTE Thanks
jott

Mysterious things are happening here. Repeated selections of the "testfile" finaly producedv the desired puldown menu. No matter how often I repeated the selection, it never again failrd to produce the pulldown menu. Hover, once in a while it produced a different pulldown menu. I did not do anything different, just selected the testfile in the same way.
If I wanted to produce this odd pulldown menu, I would not know how to go about to generate it in a deliberate way. Only by repeated selection could I get it. Maybe once out of 10 or 20 tries.
Any ideas how this is generated???
John.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2012-05-12_21-18-46.png (102.2 KB, 59 views)
File Type: png 2012-05-13_06-32-23.png (97.7 KB, 60 views)
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Yosemite 10.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jott View Post
Mysterious things are happening here. Repeated selections of the "testfile" finaly producedv the desired puldown menu. No matter how often I repeated the selection, it never again failrd to produce the pulldown menu. Hover, once in a while it produced a different pulldown menu. I did not do anything different, just selected the testfile in the same way.
If I wanted to produce this odd pulldown menu, I would not know how to go about to generate it in a deliberate way. Only by repeated selection could I get it. Maybe once out of 10 or 20 tries.
Any ideas how this is generated???
John.
I think that is because you double-clicked on the actual filename and it highlighted itself in blue as shown in your image. Here you can manually rename the filename by typing over the existing one.

Have you also considered using the "Make Alias" function ? The Alias file can then be stored in a different place and will constantly update itself when you change the original.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
CebuCity

CebuCity will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G

@jott, you CLICK the file name and then you right-click on it. That's why you are getting that blue color.

DO THIS
-click on the file icon then right click on it. DO NOT CLICK THE FILE NAME because you will accidentally double click it.

Careful with double click and click. They give completely different result.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« increasing font size--formatting thrown off--single words on some lines | Pc to iMac »