New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

external hard drive question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Hwilensky

Hwilensky is on a distinguished road

Hey all -

Hope all is well with everyone. By following the instructions on Apple's website, I recently moved my time machine from one external drive to a new one. It seems to be working. I then proceeded to reformat the old drive. which I also believe went well. However, when I look at the illuminated capacity gauge on my storage device the gauge never went down to represent their is nothing on it. When I look at the Istat Nano overview of the drive it still shows that something is on it. Yet when I go to finder and look at the information, it tells me that 2tb of 2tb is free. Did i do something wrong? Should I be worried? Anyone know how to correct?
Thanks in advance for all support.

Hwilensky
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

How did you re-format the drive?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Hwilensky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
How did you re-format the drive?
Using disk utility and then hit reformat and then chose mac os extended (journal). Did I do it correctly?

Hwilensky
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Did you choose to erase the drive first before formatting? Although formatting should overwrite the previous data, it's always best to erase first.
QUOTE Thanks
Hwilensky

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Did you choose to erase the drive first before formatting? Although formatting should overwrite the previous data, it's always best to erase first.
I am pretty sure I did. I could always do it again, as I have nothing save to it yet. I was waiting till I was sure I did everything correctly.

Hwilensky
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Do it again and this time use erase. Also select the secure erase feature but don't allow it do any more than one pass. Otherwise you'll be erasing the drive all night into tomorrow!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

Also make sure there's only a single partition

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Hwilensky

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Do it again and this time use erase. Also select the secure erase feature but don't allow it do any more than one pass. Otherwise you'll be erasing the drive all night into tomorrow!
Thanks for the response. Now when I go to erase, security, do I choose the fastest option or the one that is one over to the right, which says that it does a once over?

Hwilensky
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

You can choose the fastest option

QUOTE Thanks
Hwilensky

Quote:
You can choose the fastest option
Thanks Mr Plow. I did it and the results were mixed. While Istat nano says that I have the 2gb free. The external drive's illuminated capacity gauge still reads that it is a quarter full. Any way to fix that?

Thanks,
Hwilensky
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

What does Finder say? Select the drive and look at the bottom of the finder window or right-click on the drive and choose Get Info

Out of interest which make and model of drive is it?

QUOTE Thanks
Hwilensky

Quote:
What does Finder say? Select the drive and look at the bottom of the finder window or right-click on the drive and choose Get Info

Out of interest which make and model of drive is it?
It says 0 items 2TB Available. It is a WD 2tb my book for mac.

Hwilensky
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

The capacity indicator needs the WD smartware companion software installed for it to work correctly.

I'd suggest heading to the WR support pages and make sure you have the latest firmware and software installed.

http://support.wdc.com/product/downl...wdsfMyBook_Mac

QUOTE Thanks
Hwilensky

Quote:
The capacity indicator needs the WD smartware companion software installed for it to work correctly.

I'd suggest heading to the WR support pages and make sure you have the latest firmware and software installed.

WD Support / Downloads / My Book / My Book for Mac
Mr plow -
Thank you so much for all your time and help, I appreciate it very much. It people like you that really make this board a real joy to come to for help and knowledge. Once again, thank you so much.

Hwilensky
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« thunderbird for Leopard OSX | Antivirus Poll -Newbie Wants to Know »