New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

I am soooooo very FRUSRATED!!!!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DavidHH

DavidHH has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMacMania View Post
ive created a full iphoto course on my site - this might help you to get a better hang on the mac - have a look here: iPhoto - The Mac Mania
Very nice job Rhoda.
It is great place to start learning about the various functions of iPhoto.

DavidH
QUOTE Thanks
TheMacMania

TheMacMania is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBookPro, 15", iCore 7, 8GB, Thunderbolt Display

thank you both!!!

My Mac Journey! Tips and Tricks I share with you - http://www.themacmania.com
QUOTE Thanks
Geekbabe

Geekbabe has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMacMania View Post
ive created a full iphoto course on my site - this might help you to get a better hang on the mac - have a look here: iPhoto - The Mac Mania
Oh thank you so much!
QUOTE Thanks
TheMacMania

TheMacMania is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBookPro, 15", iCore 7, 8GB, Thunderbolt Display

you are so welcome, hope it helps with your mac issues. its really worth learning this computer.

My Mac Journey! Tips and Tricks I share with you - http://www.themacmania.com
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad3, AppleTV2

I know I'm in the minority here and I know I tend to bring this up at every iPhoto thread but.....

I struggle with iPhoto. To me the closed library system is awkward and non-Apple-like. iTunes doesn't feel the need to package eveything away! Getting images back out of iPhoto is unnecessarily clunky and unintuitive. All IMHO of course.

I even tried a clean start with the latest version of iPhoto but it drives me nuts. Horses for courses etc.

I still prefer Picasa (which is where this ramble is heading). I like the rest of the Apple iLife/iWork suites but iPhoto just can't match or improve upon my photo workflow in the same way as Picasa can.

To the OP, if you used Picasa on the PC, liked it, and it performed the tasks you needed I can recommend it for Mac too.

I will say that the switching process often goes better if you sometimes just go with the flow and accept a different way of doing things. But that doesn't mean you have to be railroaded into doing everything another way.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
justk

justk is on a distinguished road

@TheMAcMania thank you so much for your website I am reading right now. I also digitally scrapbook like a maniac!!!!!!!! So your site was great!!!!!!!! @MRPLOW you are the answer to my dreams at this moment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am sorry I realize there are lots and lots of people who love iphoto but to me at this moment of moving over to Mac I needed to have something that was the same as what I was used to for the moment. My pictures being my business it had to be there before I could begin to learn the rest of the computer........After I learn the rest of the way a Mac works then I will be able to fully appreciate the way the iphoto works..........Thank you every one for your great advice and help!!!!!!! I have learned tons just reading and rereading these posts in this thread alone!!!!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
I know I'm in the minority here and I know I tend to bring this up at every iPhoto thread but.....

I struggle with iPhoto. To me the closed library system is awkward and non-Apple-like. iTunes doesn't feel the need to package eveything away!
Huh? iPhoto uses the EXACT SAME database system as iTunes ... the only real difference is that it's hidden.

So why is it hidden from the user? Because music is replaceable and photos AREN'T. The extra security is ENTIRELY designed to protect your photos from accidental deletion (which WAY too many people do WAY too often -- that's also why iPhoto has a separate trash!).

Quote:
Getting images back out of iPhoto is unnecessarily clunky and unintuitive.
Dragging a photo to the desktop is "clunky and unintuitive"?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to get into this argument again, I'm sure we've had it before.

But the iTunes library structure is just a set of folders - in the same way I have my photos.
The iPhone library is packaged. In fact if you search these very forums half the problems people have with iPhoto is where they messed with this package and lost images. So it's barely any protection anyway.

If people are likely to just delete photos from a folder structure they are just as likely to delete documents. Why doesn't pages and numbers package documents away to keep them safe?
I'd argue the iPhoto library structure is for the benefit of the software and developers than it's users.

Quote:
Dragging a photo to the desktop is "clunky and unintuitive"?
Yes, because the end goal isn't to get an image on the desktop it's to manipulate it, upload it, send it, copy it etc etc.
So in the iPhoto world for many cases i have to export or copy an image to the desktop, perform what ever task I need to do then go and delete that copy?
That's clunky and unintuitive.

Try creating an online backup of selected folders in iPhoto. Try uploading to one of many online sites that aren't natively supported in iPhoto. You can't without duplicating all those images by dragging copies out of iPhoto. Then you're back to managing those pictures manually.

I know you like iPhoto. I've no issue if anyone likes it. Good luck, to one and all if they want to use it. If it suits the users needs and workflow then that's great.

But, as I've been at pains to stress before, iPhoto does not suit my workflow and doesn't perform the functions I require from a Photo organisation tool.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Try uploading to one of many online sites that aren't natively supported in iPhoto. You can't with duplicating all those images by dragging copies out of iPhoto.
I think you meant without. Otherwise, your "argument" makes perfect sense.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Doh!

Sadly my Typo King crown remains intact .........

QUOTE Thanks
J.Fo

J.Fo is a jewel in the roughJ.Fo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, late 2012 model, 21"

Quote:
Try uploading to one of many online sites that aren't natively supported in iPhoto. You can't without duplicating all those images by dragging copies out of iPhoto. Then you're back to managing those pictures manually.
No, you're not. When I go to a website that requires me to upload a picture from iPhoto, you can easily do so without having export anything. When the Finder window appears to select what you want to upload, there's a media section in the sidebar toward the bottom. Click on Photos and you'll be taken to your iPhoto database where you can browse through events and select the photo you want. No need to export.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« video of Mac HDisk 2 TByte | Am I too old for an Apple......? »