New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How can I find .emlx file which corresponds to email infected with Email.Trojan-31?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tamaras82

tamaras82 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac mini 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 2GB RAM 500GB HD OS X Lion 10.7.3

On April 20th I changed the settings of my computer per the "What security steps should I take?" and the "Why am I being redirected to other sites?" as per this guide: Mac Virus/Malware FAQ - Mac Guides

Then I downloaded ClamXav (love this app!), to scan my Mac Mini. It found 6 infected files. I right-clicked on each file and moved them to the trash. Then emptied the trash securely (Secure Empty Trash), and scanned again. It found the same six files again, in the same location of my computer.
So I changed the Preferences in ClamXav to delete them, and scanned again. It said it moved them to the trash. Then I Secure Emptied Trash, and five of the six files come up again as being in the computer. I have tried also after it finds the files to right-click and show me the file in the finder, and manually moving them to the trash, then emptying the trash securely, and still in the next scan they appear again.

The only file which I did manage to erase successfully from my Mac was a Worm-Autorun-3571 (called javatmp2665542262960398524.exe).

The five files which I can't erase are all .emlx files, located in:
/Users/myuser/Library/Mail/V2/IMAP-myemail@imap.gmail.com/[Gmail].mbox/All Mail.mbox/3B0EAA9B-2838-4042-AE3E-F385EDA6A001/Data/0/3/Messages/30113.emlx (The infection name of this one is Heuristics.Phishing)
/Users/myuser/Library/Mail/V2/IMAP-myemail@imap.gmail.com/[Gmail].mbox/All Mail.mbox/3B0EAA9B-2838-4042-AE3E-F385EDA6A001/Data/7/2/Messages/27781.emlx (The infection name of this one is Heuristics.Phishing)
/Users/myuser/Library/Mail/V2/IMAP-myemail@imap.gmail.com/[Gmail].mbox/All Mail.mbox/3B0EAA9B-2838-4042-AE3E-F385EDA6A001/Data/9/2/Messages/29852.emlx (The infection name of this one is Heuristics.Phishing)
/Users/myuser/Library/Mail/V2/IMAP-myemail@imap.gmail.com/[Gmail].mbox/All Mail.mbox/3B0EAA9B-2838-4042-AE3E-F385EDA6A001/Data/2/Messages/2721.emlx (The infection name of this one is Worm-Autorun-945)
/Users/myuser/Library/Mail/V2/IMAP-myemail@imap.gmail.com/[Gmail].mbox/All Mail.mbox/3B0EAA9B-2838-4042-AE3E-F385EDA6A001/Data/3/Messages/3305.emlx (The infection name of this one is Email.Trojan-31)

Searching I realize that it finds the .emlx file on my computer again because I am using imap, and the email has not been erased off of my email server, so they appear again in my computer automatically. My question is HOW TO DO I FIND OUT WHICH EMAIL CORRESPONDS TO EACH FILE SO I CAN DELETE THEM FROM MY EMAIL SERVER??

I am not so concerned with the "Heuristics.Phishing" but I would like to delete the one that contains the Trojan-31 and Worm Autorun-945... I have been searching on internet but I cant find the answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Those are all Windows trojans which no impact or effect on your Mac. If the trojans exist on the server, it's up to your ISP to remove them not you.
QUOTE Thanks
tamaras82

I figured out I find the file using the Finder -> Go -> Go to folder -> ~/Library and finding the file, clicking on it and it opens the email.

The one that is supposed to have the Email.Trojan-31 infection is this one which included information and links about Trojans and how to erase and repair them:
Subject: VSantivirus No. 2201 Año 10, jueves 27 de julio de 2006
Date: July 27, 2006 2:14:35 AM CDT
To: VSAntivirus <vsantivirus@listas.vsantivirus.com>

The one that is supposed to have the infection Worm-Autorun-945 is this one which included information and links about Worms and how to erase and repair them:
Subject: VSantivirus No 2272 Año 10, miércoles 18 de octubre de 2006
Date: October 18, 2006 12:32:34 AM CDT
To: VSAntivirus <vsantivirus@listas.vsantivirus.com>

The Heuristics.Phishing supposed infections corresponded to the following emails:
Subject: El lenguaje corporal en las entrevistas.
Date: April 26, 2011 5:54:48 PM CDT
Reply-To: info@monstermail.com.mx

Subject: Sueldo. ¿Cuánto valgo?
Date: February 29, 2012 1:21:13 PM CST

Subject: Expande tus oportunidades laborales con el Networking
Date: June 21, 2011 11:55:23 AM CDT

I've deleted them all from my email server and my Mac, and will scan again to see if now they don't show up.
QUOTE Thanks
tamaras82

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Those are all Windows trojans which no impact or effect on your Mac. If the trojans exist on the server, it's up to your ISP to remove them not you.
Thank you very much for your reply.

I suspect the infection notice was a false positive and those emails weren't really infected, but still it bothered me to have them show up in the scan, and they were emails I could delete as they were not important to keep, so I did. Now I hope they don't show up again now that I have deleted them! We'll see!
QUOTE Thanks
jferguson

jferguson is on a distinguished road

I'm concerned that your answer to this problem was to open the email.. If it was targeted to OSx that's usually how you actually get the infection.
QUOTE Thanks
tamaras82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jferguson View Post
I'm concerned that your answer to this problem was to open the email.. If it was targeted to OSx that's usually how you actually get the infection.
Dear JFerguson,
Thank you for your concern. I opened the emails because I knew what they were, and the sender. It was a newsletter I subscribed to from vsantivirus.com, and it had no attachments so I felt confident in opening them. After I deleted the emails from my email account the scan came out clean, and I haven't had any problem with my Mac (not that I would as they were Windows viruses anyway, but just saying that nothing bad happened!

Kind Regards,

Tamara
QUOTE Thanks
pilotjohn

pilotjohn is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.8 GHz i7 8GB 10.7.5, 21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB 10.6.8, 13" Macbook Core Duo 2GHz

tamaras82, I'm glad you've sorted your problem but I am still left with the same problem and agree with jferguson that opening potentially harmful emails is exactly what the sender wants/requires you to do. So does anybody know how to find which file (most of my scan result emlx files are just numbers) are for which email so I can at least see the header(?) info in the mail program so I have a shot at discerning the sender or subject?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My camera or webcam | Film download problem »