New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Have a MacBook pro buying an iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Newtomachav4s

Newtomachav4s is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone, I currently have a MacBook pro since November 2011 and an iPad, apple tv and an IPhone , but my computer crashed at work and I've ordered an iMac ( I work for my parents) so I have a couple of questions hopefully you can help

1 my payroll package will only run on windows so I'm going to buy parallels how have any of you found this

2 I'm hoping to change my current quick books to a mac version have you any experience with it

3 what big differences will I notice between the MacBook pro and the iMac ?

Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I can answer 1 and 3 for you.

Parallel runs fine as long as you give it enough RAM and space to breath properly. The larger screen for one. Heavier and you can't carry it around with you as easily.

Essentially it's a MBP that is stationary.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtomachav4s View Post

3 what big differences will I notice between the MacBook pro and the iMac
The iMac is going to be a lot less portable, a lot heavier, and much more bulky!

Honestly...not much difference (other than a larger display). In my humble opinion...and iMac is just an oversized laptop (which is fine, I like iMac's)!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
The larger screen for one. Heavier and you can't carry it around with you as easily.

Essentially it's a MBP that is stationary.
YIKES...I think we must be sharing the same "brainwaves" today!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Newtomachav4s

Ha thanks but I guessed them ones lol ��
QUOTE Thanks
Newtomachav4s

well just wanted to let ye know, ive my new imac up and running, parrells working great and quickbooks and payroll,

i LOVE it

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
YIKES...I think we must be sharing the same "brainwaves" today!

- Nick
Haha. Guess so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtomachav4s View Post
well just wanted to let ye know, ive my new imac up and running, parrells working great and quickbooks and payroll,

i LOVE it

Thanks
Great that everything is working out for you.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
CebuCity

CebuCity will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
The iMac is going to be a lot less portable, a lot heavier, and much more bulky!

Honestly...not much difference (other than a larger display). In my humble opinion...and iMac is just an oversized laptop (which is fine, I like iMac's)!

- Nick
Hi Nick,

Does iMac have video cam built-in like MBP? I plan to buy one at home.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Yes, all Macs except the Mac Pro and Mac mini come with built-in FaceTime HD cameras (which, I hasten to add, can be used with any webcam type app, not just FaceTime).
QUOTE Thanks
CebuCity

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G

Thanx a lot @chas_m.
one more thing, will there be any new iMac coming this year? Should i wait for it?
QUOTE Thanks
class77

class77 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4

There is definitely a new iMac coming out very soon(next couple of months). You should wait

 24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
 2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
 iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
 iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5
QUOTE Thanks
CebuCity

Quote:
Originally Posted by class77 View Post
There is definitely a new iMac coming out very soon(next couple of months). You should wait
Thank you @class77. Looking forward to it.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

"Definitely" in this case means "class77 really, really believes that but does not actually have any evidence of this."

LIKELY that a refreshed iMac is coming before long? Sure.

DEFINITELY? No. Nobody outside Apple could possible know that, and sometimes they keep us "experts" waiting a lot longer than when we "think" they're due (see this year's iPhone, or any Mac Pro owner, for some testifyin' on that point!).
QUOTE Thanks
CebuCity

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
"Definitely" in this case means "class77 really, really believes that but does not actually have any evidence of this."

LIKELY that a refreshed iMac is coming before long? Sure.

DEFINITELY? No. Nobody outside Apple could possible know that, and sometimes they keep us "experts" waiting a lot longer than when we "think" they're due (see this year's iPhone, or any Mac Pro owner, for some testifyin' on that point!).

So you mean it's coming very soon? I didn't get you sorry. Should I wait?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

We don't know.

Nobody here knows if a new iMac is coming soon (whatever "soon" means) or not. We might THINK one is about due right about now, there might be rumours and external developments that would indicate such a thing, but we don't actually KNOW.

My advice on these matters is to make the best purchase you can when you are ready to buy and then forget about it. If another one comes out next month, who cares? You're not in the market for another one for at least three to five years, and by then anything that's "just come out" will pale in comparison. So ultimately it doesn't really matter unless Apple doesn't something so completely revolutionary and radical that it immediately renders all previous computers instantly obsolete.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wireless + migration assistant = oops | Host file »