New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

First thread, first simple question hehe

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Korgot

Korgot is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,
Well hopefully I'm posting this in the good place. First of all, I'm glad I found this forum of Mac enthusiasts, it will help me find a quick and clean answer to my question !

So I'm planning on mounting a 27'' iMac in my kitchen and use it both as a computer and as a television. But here's the thing, I'd like to be able to watch regular cable on it, basicly like I can atm with my old school 14 inch TV. So here's my question. What do I need to buy or do to be able to plug that kind of wire directly into my iMac or if not directly, to see the exact content and change channel normally on my Mac.

Thanks alot in advance guys !
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad3, AppleTV2

Welcome to the forums.

That's an 'F' connector you've got there.

I'm sure others will have more suggestions but the first place I'd look is the Elgato Hybrid USB stick:
EyeTV Hybrid - TV Tuner Stick for HDTV & Analog TV

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Korgot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
Welcome to the forums.

That's an 'F' connector you've got there.

I'm sure others will have more suggestions but the first place I'd look is the Elgato Hybrid USB stick:
EyeTV Hybrid - TV Tuner Stick for HDTV & Analog TV
But can I directly plug the F cable (as you called it) in that eye tv device ?
QUOTE Thanks
Larry H

Larry H is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.53 Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB

Check out this page for that device. It shows an adapter to connect the device to an 'F' cable.
EyeTV Hybrid - System requirements, technical specifications & further information
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad3, AppleTV2

Larry H has spotted it. But the best thing to do is email them directly, tell them who your cable supplier is and your plans to connect it to an iMac and get info straight from the horses mouth

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Korgot

Perfect I purchased it ! But another question came to my mind. Is it possible to wall mount an iMac 27'' (newest version) ? I've looked for it around the web but seem to get different answers ... Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

According to this in the Apple Store you can get VESA mounts for the 27in iMac.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Since you are mounting this in the kitchen, please be aware of potential risks to the machine, including keeping it well away from steam, heat, food dust (like flour etc) and be sure not to block the either the air intakes on the bottom nor the heat exhaust vent on the top back.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Print Quality | Creating New Folders »