New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Does anyone use the Trackpad AND the Magic Mouse?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lastmboy

Lastmboy will become famous soon enough

Does anyone use both? I'm trying to decide which I would like, or if I would use both. The Trackpad seems like it would be more versatile, but it would take some getting used to. I just wondered about attaching the trackpad to the wireless keyboard, and then having the Magic Mouse beside them. Either that, or go with the wired keyboard and then decide on whether to use the trackpad or the mouse. Any opinions?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I don't have the Magic Mouse but do have the older Apple BT mouse that I use in conjunction with the trackpad. Although it takes up some needed space I find it handy from time to time. I do find though that the more I get used to the trackpad the less I use the mouse.

I like the trackpad much better now that I have tweaked a few things using BetterTouchTool

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

Don't blame me if following this advice causes loss of data, a rip in space time allowing dinosaurs to roam free, or your significant other to leave.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

My only opinion FWIW is that I really love my TrackPad. I use a mouse at work, but not by choice.

If I were given just one wish it would be . . . that I could have three more wishes!
QUOTE Thanks
Lastmboy

My initial impression, when trying them in the store, was that I would prefer the trackpad, except for the fact that it tracked really slow (i.e. my finger had to make several trips across the trackpad to get the pointer across the screen). However, it sounds like there are tools to increase the tracking speed.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastmboy View Post
However, it sounds like there are tools to increase the tracking speed.
Most definitely...it's a System Preference.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Hwilensky

Hwilensky is on a distinguished road

I love the trackpad. The only time I use the mouse is to play Bejewled Blitz on Facebook. All other times its trackpad for me.

Hwilensky
QUOTE Thanks
bboggess

bboggess has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Mountain Lion 10.8.4, Retina display iPad

I use my trackpad probably 99% of the time, but find it necessary for certain tasks to use the mouse. Both work equally well, but for certain CAD applications, I prefer the mouse.

Bill
QUOTE Thanks
J.Fo

J.Fo is a jewel in the roughJ.Fo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, late 2012 model, 21"

I have and use both. I mostly use the Magic Trackpad for everyday purposes. I find that the gesture support is great in Lion and makes using the Mac easier overall. The Magic Mouse I use when I need to do some sort of a task that requires a lot of clicking and selecting. I find it a lot easier, faster, and more accurate in this regard. If I could only have one though, I'd pick the trackpad.

QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad3, AppleTV2

I got the Magic Mouse with my iMac and bought the Trackpad once it was released.

Never really got on with swipe gestures on the mouse. Used both for a while and found that I barely used my Magic Mouse. So I now use that at work and use the Trackpad at home. It's great for everything bar gaming, but I have a dedicated gaming mouse and keyboard for that.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
bazanders

bazanders will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB

I had both, the trackpad lasted a week before i got rid of it, just didnt seem comfortable or precise enough to use, MM all the way for me.
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

I bought both with my last iMac and used the TP at work to see if I could get used to it. Took less than a week and I bought a second TP for my home Mac. Not even using a mouse at all anymore.

QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

I like having both, they're good for different things. If you'll notice, the trackpad is the same shape as the keyboard, so you can put them right next to each other and it looks almost like one seamless device. To the right of them, I keep my Magic Mouse, but I find that the edges are too sensitive to grip without it mistaking some things for a 2-finger gesture.
QUOTE Thanks
Lastmboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
If you'll notice, the trackpad is the same shape as the keyboard, so you can put them right next to each other and it looks almost like one seamless device.
You can actually make them be one seamless device...
Twelve South MagicWand - Apple Store (Canada)
QUOTE Thanks
Lastmboy

Just thought I should report that I now have switched. I am the proud owner of a used iMac (27" 3.4GHz I7 with all upgrades). After a few days of use, the winner is...
touch pad. Hands down. The touch pad along with advanced settings in BetterTouchTools is spectacular. The only thing I didn't like about it was dragging stuff. However, I turned on tap-drag, which solved that. After playing on the iMac all weekend, I went in to work, sat down at my pc, and instinctively moved my finger on the desk, expecting the track pad to be there. Too funny.

27" iMac 3.4GHz I7, Mac Pro, Mac Mini, iPad Air, iPhone 5S, Apple TV (3rd generation), iPod Classic
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastmboy View Post
After playing on the iMac all weekend, I went in to work, sat down at my pc, and instinctively moved my finger on the desk, expecting the track pad to be there. Too funny.
I still do that sometimes when my finger misses the trackpad and hits the desk instead. First few times it happened I thought something was very wrong.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

Don't blame me if following this advice causes loss of data, a rip in space time allowing dinosaurs to roam free, or your significant other to leave.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Icon/Print Size on Apple TV | How to set up College Email Account on the iPad »