New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

External Display quit working

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jimmyblues

Jimmyblues is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have a 27 in. iMac I have an Acer monitor hooked into Thunderbolt with the right Rocketfish adapter (mini display port to vga adapter). The 2nd monitor worked just fine since I bought the iMac in Jan. Now, it wont wake up, the Mac doesn't see it. Wha happened? Was it a Lion update, is there a way to turn the 2nd monitor on and off? Is the Rocketfish cable not working with a Lion update?

Checked the monitor with a Windows 7 PC works just fine. I have had the R-fish for 3 months, am I missing something... sorry-- so many questions, but, I've learned from the iPad forum that questions usually get answered, answers are appreciated.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Questions in all our sub-forums "usually get answered" if someone has something they want to add. But we can't/don't MAKE people answer things.

Anyway, as you've obviously deduced already, the Rocketfish adapter is the main suspect here, since you've proven that the monitor is not at fault. Why not try it with the monitor hooked to the other TB port and see if that makes a difference.

If you can, try to borrow another adapter and test it with that as well. And since you didn't mention it, maybe a PRAM reset and restart might fix things.
QUOTE Thanks
Groovetube

Groovetube has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Retina MBP 2.7 768ssd/16gig ram /30" dell 3008. and bunch of other mac/apple stuff

first verify the adapter is working, to make sure, but if it helps, I do know a few people with a similar issue on lion pulling their hair out. The issue seems to vary from situation to situation.
QUOTE Thanks
TamPepper

TamPepper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBookPro early 2012running Mavericks,MacMini Core i7 running Mavericks: iPhone 4s, iPad 3rd Gen

I am having the same problem
A brand new MBP two weeks ago and I asked specificly if I would be able to use it on my 42 LG TV.
I was assured all I needed was a hdmi lead and a MiniPort adapter. I duly purchased an adapter and it worked when I plugged in.
However, it only works maybe 1 in 10 times I try.
I finally bought another make of MiniPort adapter and it was the same.
I have also tried on another HDMI TV and it is the same.
This has spoiled the whole Mac experiance for me when you think that most cheap Windows Laptops work every time.
I changed the HDMI lead a few times. All my hdmi leads work with the new iPad and an adapter 100 percent of the time.
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamPepper View Post
I am having the same problem
A brand new MBP two weeks ago and I asked specificly if I would be able to use it on my 42 LG TV.
I was assured all I needed was a hdmi lead and a MiniPort adapter. I duly purchased an adapter and it worked when I plugged in.
However, it only works maybe 1 in 10 times I try.
I finally bought another make of MiniPort adapter and it was the same.
I have also tried on another HDMI TV and it is the same.
This has spoiled the whole Mac experiance for me when you think that most cheap Windows Laptops work every time.
I changed the HDMI lead a few times. All my hdmi leads work with the new iPad and an adapter 100 percent of the time.
How does it quit on you ? no pictures ? did you set your mirror on systems preference right ?
QUOTE Thanks
TamPepper

Mac Specs: MacBookPro early 2012running Mavericks,MacMini Core i7 running Mavericks: iPhone 4s, iPad 3rd Gen

When I insert the adaptor into the MBP port there is no recognision.
If I reinsert a few times, sometimes, it recognises the display.
And yes, when I do get recognision, I mirror the displays and all is well, until I shut down or put it to sleep. I also get audio, when it works
Then when I open the Mac, I have to go through all this again.
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

Quote:
When I insert the adaptor into the MBP port there is no recognision.
If I reinsert a few times, sometimes, it recognises the display.
And yes, when I do get recognision, I mirror the displays and all is well, until I shut down or put it to sleep. I also get audio, when it works
Then when I open the Mac, I have to go through all this again.
your mini port adapter should be inserted in the mbp at all times, then you can always unplug the hdmi cable when you shut off your mbp.
Make sure your tv is in sync with your mpb when you turn on the mbp. It should not be that hard.
QUOTE Thanks
Jimmyblues

In reply to Chas, of course answers are not expected necessarily, but they are appreciated.
Did the PRAM resent, nada. Am taking the Rocketfish to have it tested. Man, I bought an iMac because my fellow music studio peoples said that all those annoying windows glitches don't happen with mac. Well, I waited 3 months for mine -27 in. with 3.1chip. Get it home, it kept rebooting, take it back, wait a month for another, bad memory past return date- fight with B buy for a refund, buy the R-fish and all is well- for 3 months, now this.

Sry for venting, but I depend on this 2nd monitor, I know not all of this is mac related. I will say I've had windows pcs since win 98 and never ever ever did windows not see a 2nd monitor. I'm starting to feel like this is too much. Mac selling point is software is made for hardware. Well, if it was the OS update that kills me having a 2nd monitor, that becomes untrue.

Even though I'm taking the rocketfish in, my gut feeling is the update did something, so ultimately I will probably have to reinstall the os, reload everything, and this from people telling me that all the annoyances will disappear with a Mac. For 2 grand I kinda expect better..

But thanks for everyone's help, please understand the frustration level is very high...
QUOTE Thanks
TamPepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycl1688 View Post
your mini port adapter should be inserted in the mbp at all times, then you can always unplug the hdmi cable when you shut off your mbp.
Make sure your tv is in sync with your mpb when you turn on the mbp. It should not be that hard.
This is what I have been doing to no avail
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

this is what mine set up is from the min port display adapter using hdmi cable to tv, then system preference set up the mirroring process. Trust me the set up has been fine working for me.
Or you can wait till moutain lion comes out use apptv and you can use wireless hook up with airplay but that is few short months away.
QUOTE Thanks
TamPepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycl1688 View Post
this is what mine set up is from the min port display adapter using hdmi cable to tv, then system preference set up the mirroring process. Trust me the set up has been fine working for me.
Or you can wait till moutain lion comes out use apptv and you can use wireless hook up with airplay but that is few short months away.

OK thanks for that.

Can you explain the apptv, wireless and airplay a bit more fully for me ?
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

Quote:
OK thanks for that.

Can you explain the apptv, wireless and airplay a bit more fully for me ?
if you go to apple.com will give you more detail about airplay with mountain lion.
basically is a device called apple tv you can set up with mbp with osx mountain lion to mirror image on tv, like what you are doing with all the cables now.
Because this is ios from ipad or iphone, ML will be doing the same thing when it comes out.
If you have ipad or iphone now, buy an Apple tv module you are in business, google apple tv with ipad or iphone will give you tons of info.
This is the magic of apple products where wonders and miracle never cease.
QUOTE Thanks
Jimmyblues

Thanks to all -- well Chas was right -it was the rocketfish... went to B Buy, they tested the vga cable, fine, swapped rocketfish, grateful for all your replys and the lifetime warranty on the rocketfish....everytime I see rocketfish I remember how Issac Hayes never called Jim Rockford on the The Rockford files Rockford, it was always Rockfish.

I won't even guess what happened, back to enjoying the mac...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Delivery of my Mac | How to lock a file on a flash drive »