New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

"Ads not by this Site"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

smelisande

smelisande is on a distinguished road

I have a MacBook Air. I recently moved and have been using a lot of public wifi's. In any case, I keep on having "ads not by this site" pop up and my IP address has been selected to win a prize. These ads show up on my msn page and Facebook and Craig's list.

I have emptied the cache in my browser - deleted all the cookies - installed new ad blocking anti virus software which at this point is just annoying.

Something has definitely infected by beautiful MBA - I just don't know how to get rid of it.

Has anyone encountered this? Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by smelisande View Post
I have a MacBook Air. I recently moved and have been using a lot of public wifi's. In any case, I keep on having "ads not by this site" pop up and my IP address has been selected to win a prize. These ads show up on my msn page and Facebook and Craig's list.

I have emptied the cache in my browser - deleted all the cookies - installed new ad blocking anti virus software which at this point is just annoying.

Something has definitely infected by beautiful MBA - I just don't know how to get rid of it.

Has anyone encountered this? Any ideas?
I wonder if that "ad blocking anti virus software" is actually the disease and not the cure. There's some fake ones out there, which are designed to extort money and personal identifiable data from you.

What is that software called?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Curleytops

Curleytops is on a distinguished road

I am having the same issue but i have not used ad blocking anti virus software... I can not figure it out
QUOTE Thanks
CebuCity

CebuCity will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G

Do you have OnyX app? If not you have to have it. It's free. Run the CLEANING. Execute SYSTEM, USER, INTERNET, FONTS, LOGS , MISC. Leave the checked box as default.

I think this will help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« recording on mac | Issues w/OS X Leopard. Ok to install Snow Leopard? »