New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Should i use an Anti-Virus

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Holly21

Holly21 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2011 MBP 15. 8gb ram ... iPad 3

Hey Guys,

First off i just wanna thank all you guys who helped me with my mail problem. My next question is, anti-virus. With all the recent flashback stuff, i have been reading up on staying protected. Some people say no you don't need one and others say you do. I'm very cautious about what i download and what sites i visit. I have read about Sophos and ClamXav, If i were to install one of these, which one would you recommend???

Thanks, Holly
QUOTE Thanks
Brunhild

Brunhild has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 2.26 8GB RAM 500GBhdd, iPhone 4, and iPad

If you are careful, ultimately a virus can only affect and get on your machine if you let it. I personally dont have an antivirus program on my Apple and dont intend to any time soon.

Id be interested to see how everyone here feels about antivirus programs.

my beer blog, BEERUKEN! www.beeruken.com
QUOTE Thanks
Holly21

Thanks Brunhild!!,

I really don't wanna have to put one on mine either, as i also agree with you about what others have to say..
QUOTE Thanks
AliOop

AliOop will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro.

I too did not have any AV software...until the Flash trojan ended up on my brand spanking new MBP. I got rid of it but have since been looking over my shoulder. Like Holly, I am also interested in installing some kind of AV. So I tried ClamX but settled on Sophos. I'm still looking at it and feeling my way around. If you want my opinion I'd say give Sophos a try. I left it's setting default. Sophos scans the whole shebang. Not just certain files. But you can tweak it to your liking. This scan does take some time. Not that much. But it give me peace of mind.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

As Brunhild says most experienced users here do not use AV software as there are no Mac OS X viruses. A handful of trojans however safe browsing practices prevent these. Have you downloaded the latest software updates from Apple? Also if you use Safari go into Preferences > General and make sure 'open safe files' at the bottom is not selected.

Having said this if you are still concerned about viruses download ClamXAV and use that. It is freeware and will not bloat your computer. Suggest giving Sophos a miss.

http://www.clamxav.com/

Official antivirus, malware, and firewall FAQ

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
imacme

imacme is on a distinguished road

hi. i am new here but i tried sophos and didnt like the interface. i heard about iantivirus but haven tried it yet. i had sophos on my mac for about 2 months before removing it.
hopefully avg free will come for mac
QUOTE Thanks
Holly21

Harryb2448,

I am vey good about updating my machine, I also disable java and use chrome not safari. I feel that i practice safe browsing..But this switcher still loves to hear the input of others more advanced than me..
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly21 View Post
Harryb2448,

I am vey good about updating my machine, I also disable java and use chrome not safari. I feel that i practice safe browsing..But this switcher still loves to hear the input of others more advanced than me..
Never have. Never will. I do software updates regularly, browse safely and NEVER click on links which I'm not sure of. That includes emails from family and such. It looks as though my cousin's email account has been compromised this week. I've been getting mail from him with nothing but links to strange sounding things. It's unusual behavior and I have now put him on my spam list until he straightens his mess out. It's all trash until someone actually tells me *physically* that they've sent me a link to something or unless I've had other communication with that person to ensure safe delivery.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
Holly21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
Never have. Never will. I do software updates regularly, browse safely and NEVER click on links which I'm not sure of. That includes emails from family and such. It looks as though my cousin's email account has been compromised this week. I've been getting mail from him with nothing but links to strange sounding things. It's unusual behavior and I have now put him on my spam list until he straightens his mess out. It's all trash until someone actually tells me *physically* that they've sent me a link to something or unless I've had other communication with that person to ensure safe delivery.

Doug
The same thing happened to me with email last week. Ive since deleted my aol mail account and started a @me.com. Since then i haven't had any problems. Thank you so much for your input..

Holly
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

There's really no need to delete your AOL account. Simply change the password and make sure it's not a standard English word that you'd find in the dictionary. But first you should report the happening to AOL. I always recommend that people use uppercase, lowercase and then random characters and numbers for their password.

OS X has a great feature called Keychain Access, in which you can create secure notes as well as randomly generated passwords. The ONLY password that you would need to know in order to have access to any of your other passwords, is your master admin password. That is not to say that you should make the admin password easy to crack either....

A good trick is to use symbols and numbers to substitute letters. Here's an simple example:

Ru5tyD0g OR Ru$tyD0g where 5 and $ = "S" Another example:
3x@mp13P@55w0rd = ExamplePassword Or you could have used $$ in the place of the 5's.

D0ug
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I continue to maintain that an "anti-virus" for the Mac is unnecessary. Yes, some third-party essentials that are included (or in the case of Java, not included as of Lion) in OS X can be vulnerable to malware. And yes, the so-called "anti-virus" programs may catch these faster than Apple.

I still don't think the trade-off is ultimately worth it, however. There has yet to be a malware threat to the Mac that wasn't comically easy to avoid, and for all the hype this latest malware got -- the servers it was supposed to report it got shut down early on, meaning even those who were "infected" didn't actually have anything happen to them other than that. I would call that "overblown."

Java is rarely used on the Mac anymore (at least via the web browser), so for most people I'd say simply turn it off and see if you don't need it (the final "fix" from Apple essentially does that already). Most of the infected machines, from what I've read, were running outdated software. For them, you need to disable Java period full stop until you update to a more modern system.

I think good computing practices will go a lot further towards keeping you out of trouble than an "anti-virus." While Flash and Java have been compromised, I notice that neither of those things are parts of OS X, so I still have great confindence in it.
QUOTE Thanks
Stanley

Stanley will become famous soon enough

Plus the "reporting" on threats seems to come from some of the solution sellers.

Additionally, some like Sophos inform you that it protected you from 3.5 million threats. Thing is, those are PC threats.

Some antivirus software has side effects such as glitches or slowdowns.

I think there is no compelling reason to use one if you follow normal precautions.
QUOTE Thanks
macjuicy23

macjuicy23 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3

I dont use Anti Virus on my mac at all, Ive had Apple computers for over 15 years never needed it, i follow 2 simple rules

1. never open emails you dont recognize
2. never download and install something from a website i dont recognize or looks shady

All in all its very hard to get a virus on make considering virus were mainly designed for Windows OS
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I'm no longer convinced that "safe" computing practices are enough anymore. The Flashback trojan alone is estimated to have infected 1% of all Macs out there. In contrast, the Conficker botnet, which is the biggest malware attack on Windows to date, infected a lower percentage.

Mac Malware Outbreak Is Bigger than 'Conficker' | PCWorld Business Center

Mac OS X invulnerability to malware is a myth, says security firm

The problem with the Flashback trojan is that people were unwittingly infected by going to sites that themselves were compromised. Not shady or disreputable sites… places like WordPress. If you visited a compromised site and were susceptible to the vulnerability in Java, you too were compromised, invisibly. Period. The days of telling people to be smart and use "safe" computing practices are over. Most people grossly overestimate their ability to judge what is safe anyway.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10.1

I fully agree with lifeisabeach ,
We have entered a stage where " safe browsing " is being redefined.
Keep your operating system and applications up to date as well as your browser plug-ins.
Never ever install/update software through some fancy looking pop-up window.
Instead, go to the respective web site and update from there. ( Especially Flash and Java )
If you did not specifically went looking for it, don't install it.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Shift 3 does not give the UK pound sign in VMFusion | Mac mini making random click sounds (hardware) »