New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Input before I purchase iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Joey Sarks

Joey Sarks is on a distinguished road

Just looking for a lil guidance while figuring out what I want in my new iMac. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'll be recording in Xbox gameplay at 720p 60fps (because my Blackmagic makes me) and cutting gameplay montages while adding music and commentary afterwards. I'll also be streaming, hopefully at 720p 60fps as well.

1. Should I get 8gb of ram or would 12-16gb be useful? Ram is cheap but I don't wanna go overkill, would I see reasonable advantages with amounts bigger than 8gb?

2. Should I use iMovie, or think about purchasing Final Cut X or Adobe Premiere Pro? I have a Final Cut X trial right now and i'm enjoying just playing around in it. Adobe PP seems like more than I would need from the looks of it.

3. Considering the fact that i'll be doin alot of HD video work, I have decided to go for the i7 and 2TB hard drive in the 21 inch model iMac (27 just seems too big to me) However, I do know that the new Ivy Bridge processors are arriving within a month or two (hopefully)
Would I see a noticeable increase in overall performance if I waited it out?

4. Just curious how the Final Cut owner system works. Some programs you just get any update that comes out as a free download, other programs you get free small updates but have to pay for the big drops. I would assume it's the second one, but just making sure.

I think there was something else but can't remember right now.
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

1. Get the best CPU and Graphics card you can - those you cannot upgrade after purchase (except for Mac Pro). After you get the Mac, then get fill the slots with the largest amount of RAM it will take. Sell the original sticks on ebay or craigslist.

2. Personally, if you are going to buy something and you are already messing with FCPX, go with FCPX. I love it and I am coming from Sony Vegas Pro (Windows only).

3. When working with video, trust me, the more screen real estate you have, the better and easier it is on the eyes. I use a 4 TB drive for storage (external) and work off my internal drive on my MBP. Don't chase what "might be." If you have doubts, wait. If you absolutely have to have something, don't wait. There will always be another version "around the corner."

4. I only came into the Apple Video world in the last couple months. However, major versions of major software always (there are FEW exceptions) will always cost. FCP is an industry standard. It is a major piece of software. Upgrading main versions will cost, but so far, incremental versions and patches have cost nothing.

Another thing to think about as well. With any piece of software purchased from the App store can be installed, at no extra cost, on up to 5 machines. You can make a rendering farm without buying extra licenses.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
Joey Sarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckyon View Post
1. Get the best CPU and Graphics card you can - those you cannot upgrade after purchase (except for Mac Pro). After you get the Mac, then get fill the slots with the largest amount of RAM it will take. Sell the original sticks on ebay or craigslist.

2. Personally, if you are going to buy something and you are already messing with FCPX, go with FCPX. I love it and I am coming from Sony Vegas Pro (Windows only).

3. When working with video, trust me, the more screen real estate you have, the better and easier it is on the eyes. I use a 4 TB drive for storage (external) and work off my internal drive on my MBP. Don't chase what "might be." If you have doubts, wait. If you absolutely have to have something, don't wait. There will always be another version "around the corner."

4. I only came into the Apple Video world in the last couple months. However, major versions of major software always (there are FEW exceptions) will always cost. FCP is an industry standard. It is a major piece of software. Upgrading main versions will cost, but so far, incremental versions and patches have cost nothing.

Another thing to think about as well. With any piece of software purchased from the App store can be installed, at no extra cost, on up to 5 machines. You can make a rendering farm without buying extra licenses.
I wouldn't be waiting normally, most updates for iMac lately have been very standard things. I was under the impression that Ivy Bridge is a big step up from the last line of processors though? Also heard there will be anti glare screens which would be nice to have if I open the windows in the house.
The extra screen space would be nice too but that's also a huge upgrade in price, figured I could use the money to blow on other things...external drive/cords/etc.
.....I am still debating on it though
QUOTE Thanks
TheMacMania

TheMacMania is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBookPro, 15", iCore 7, 8GB, Thunderbolt Display

in my opinion - always get the best you can afford. and yes, add a lot of RAM, the more the better. i had an iMac with 8 gb and when i upgraded to 12 it was great to work with it.

i like working with iMovie. of course, if you are looking for something professional another program might be better but basically i think that is just fine

My Mac Journey! Tips and Tricks I share with you - http://www.themacmania.com
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Deckyon, I thought of you when I read this:

Singular Software debuts PluralEyes 3 syncing at NAB | MacNN
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Deckyon, I thought of you when I read this:

Singular Software debuts PluralEyes 3 syncing at NAB | MacNN
Someone else had mentioned that to me, but it was before the multicam support was put into FCP. I looked into it, but once the multicam was announced, I didnt see the need to spend $150 more to do something that was going to be supported. Now, I just need to learn how to use it.

Thanks tho.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
Ramimac1

Ramimac1 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram

I think what would be worth the wait is to see if apple adds USB 3 to the new line with Ivy Bridge. it would make the 1 tb drive with a large external a better option in my opinion.

Ram Look at Frys. lately they have been selling 16gb 2 8gb sticks for $109. these imacs actually handle up to 32gb according to mac sales. the 8gb sticks work in the current line, my dad is running 16gb in his 13" MBP

Take it from someone who did the 27" I love it and also have a second monitor to open Mail and such in

Old time Computer Hardware Tech
Ohh My Typing Sucks Live with it

Snoopy is the Man !!!
QUOTE Thanks
Joey Sarks

Yeah Ram is a pretty easy and cheap way to buff your computer these days, ill prolly throw at least 12gb in whatever I decide to get. The 27 maxed is a healthy amount more than the 21 maxed out.
I actually might be snaggin a new monitor soon, since I try to stick to whatever new one MLG is using for the season. Would using my old one as a dual monitor be a good supplement for not getting the 27 inch? (like as far as making videos on Final Cut, would a second monitor be just as good as one gigantic screen? i've never used 2 monitors before)
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramimac1 View Post
I think what would be worth the wait is to see if apple adds USB 3 to the new line with Ivy Bridge.
My guess would be no. Even though the Ivy Bridge chipset has built-in support for USB 3.

Apple has two sound reasons for this:

1. USB 3 is nowhere near the level of mainstream acceptance than USB 2 has. There's no consumer "momentum" for USB 3, in other words.

2. Thunderbolt does USB 3 and anything else you want it to do. Apple is constantly looking for a way to eliminate ports not add them, so I am disinclined to think they will add USB 3

Having said that, anything's possible.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Palm & Mac Lion | Recommendations on personal finance software »