New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How to switch desktops

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jott

jott is on a distinguished road

There are a number of utube presentations on this subject, but they mostly show the results of switching rather than how to accomplish the task.
I am interested in finding out how several desktops can be assigned in iMac Lion and what steps are involved to switch from one to the others.
If this has already been discussed in this forum I apologize for asking again.
John
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Just so it's 100% clear...what exactly are you trying to do?

Are you thinking of transferring your info from an old computer to a new computer?

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb

Hey Jon,

Follow these steps, and you'll be multidesktopping in no time!

Press F3 to bring up this screen (Or 3 finger swipe up if you have a magic trackpad with that gesture)

Theeeen, move your pointer over to the top right, where a little "+" will appear...

If you click on that, it will add a new desktop!

You can then three/four finger swipe left or right to switch between desktops. Alternatively press F3 again and then manually select the desktop you desire.

Hope that helps!

Play the guitar?! Check out the [newly created]Mac-Forums guitar thread!
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Once you get your desktops set up you can also switch with control-1, control-2 etc...

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom View Post
Once you get your desktops set up you can also switch with control-1, control-2 etc...
Is that a feature in Lion, or is it something you have to activate? because it doesn't seem to want to work on mine!

Running 10.7.3...

EDIT: It's Ctrl+Left arrow/Right arrow. Not 1 or 2...

QUOTE Thanks
jott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckoir View Post
Hey John,

Follow these steps, and you'll be multidesktopping in no time!

Press F3 to bring up this screen (Or 3 finger swipe up if you have a magic trackpad with that gesture)
What I was looking for was the basic step :
"Move the mouse to the right upper corner to see a +"
It is beyond me why the designer of the Mission Control would hide such a basic step. This was not obvious to an old grand father like me. Wish to be 18 again !

Thanks a lot for the tip.
John
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Haha, I agree! It's not obvious, is it!?

Glad to have helped!

QUOTE Thanks
jott

Quote:
Haha, I agree! It's not obvious, is it!?

Glad to have helped!
Now that you are in a helping mood, maybe you can tell me how to swith from one to the other desktop with my mouse instead of using F3. (F3 works just fine).
I have the normal mouse supplied with my new iMac, but am not sure if you would call this a "magic Mouse" . To describe it better, it is a mouse that permits the scrolling by moving the finger up or down.
John
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Ummm, I'm not to sure to be honest! As I'm not anywhere near my iMac at the moment and don't use the mouse as I have a Magic Trackpad, but just have the Macbook with me currently...

Buuuut, if you go into preferences and then select "Mouse", there may be a section in there which shows which gestures you can use?

Failing that, you could download a brilliant little app called "BetterTouchTool", which will allow you to assign addition gestures to the Magic Mouse.

Or, if that's not to your liking, you'll have to just press "ctrl + left arrow" or "ctrl + right arrow" to switch between.

Link to BetterTouchTool: BetterTouchTool (Mac) - Download

QUOTE Thanks
jott

Quote:
Buuuut, if you go into preferences and then select "Mouse", there may be a section in there which shows which gestures you can use?

Failing that, you could download a brilliant little app called "BetterTouchTool", which will allow you to assign addition gestures to the Magic Mouse.

Or, if that's not to your liking, you'll have to just press "ctrl + left arrow" or "ctrl + right arrow" to switch between.

Link to BetterTouchTool: BetterTouchTool (Mac) - Download
Two finger right or left does the trick. Control + Arrow left or right works also.
Thanks.
John
QUOTE Thanks
jott

Quote:
Switching desktops with control-1, control-2 does not work on my system. Does it work on yours?
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud of

Quote:
Is that a feature in Lion, or is it something you have to activate? because it doesn't seem to want to work on mine!

Running 10.7.3...

EDIT: It's Ctrl+Left arrow/Right arrow. Not 1 or 2...
Running SL and that command switches to a specific space.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Exposé & Spaces.jpg (71.8 KB, 23 views)

QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Ah. So it's Snow Leopard then, not Lion, because Lion doesn't have Spaces.

QUOTE Thanks
cradom

Just tried it on my wife's iMac with Lion. Make several spaces as shown above. Press control-2 and see if it doesn't switch.
Check in Keyboard prefs...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lionspace.jpg (93.7 KB, 21 views)

QUOTE Thanks
jott

Quote:
Just tried it on my wife's iMac with Lion. Make several spaces as shown above. Press control-2 and see if it doesn't switch.
Check in Keyboard prefs...
I noticed that in your screen shot the shortcuts for Show Desktop and Show Dashboard are shown as F11 and F12.
My iMac Lion shows the same assignment, but the actual keys are F3 and F4
F11 and F12 control the Audio.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hard Drive Usage | What exactly doesn't time machine save? »