Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Switcher Hangout (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/)
-   -   Just switched....2 quick questions (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/27202-just-switched-2-quick-questions.html)

BrianjG 11-30-2005 04:26 PM

Just switched....2 quick questions
 
Well I switched about 2 months ago. got a g5 imac but I have 2 quick questions.

1. I've been installing lots of software as I'm trying to find mac alternatives to me windows software. is there anything like add/remove programs for the mac? or a quick way of removing stuff I've installe.

2. Is it possible to have profiles or identities with Mail? My wife and I share the imac and we both have exchange accounts. I know we can have seperate logins but thats a pain in the **** just for email.

any help much appreciated.

Brian

rman 11-30-2005 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianjG
1. I've been installing lots of software as I'm trying to find mac alternatives to me windows software. is there anything like add/remove programs for the mac? or a quick way of removing stuff I've installed

In most cases all you need to do, is drag the program to the trash.

BrianjG 11-30-2005 04:40 PM

really? thats simple? no looking for stupid folders and orphan files?

surfwax95 11-30-2005 04:48 PM

Nope, that's one of the many awesome things about OSX.

Just trash the application. Empty the trash. Gone.

There is one file on most applications called "programname.plist" which is a list of your preferences, but this file is usually about 2KB and is not necessary to delete, but you might as well.

If you have Tiger, just Spotlight the application name and it will bring up that .plist.

As for the Mail issue, you do have seperate accounts right? Just go to Mail>Preferences and set up two accounts.

Welcome to Mac :mac:

xstep 11-30-2005 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianjG
no looking for stupid folders and orphan files?

Well of course, because Apple, ha, forget that story.

The orphan files are usually preference files in your Library/Preferences folder and perhaps some others in your Library/Application Support folder. I think that is the name. I'm, unfortunately, not at a Mac right now.

These possible orphans do not run, they are just support files, so all they do is take up a little bit of room.

It is possible some applications use the system locations for those files, but rare.

BrianjG 11-30-2005 04:52 PM

I cant add a second exchange account. the only options for the second one are pop and imap.

xstep 11-30-2005 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianjG
2. Is it possible to have profiles or identities with Mail? My wife and I share the imac and we both have exchange accounts. I know we can have seperate logins but thats a pain in the **** just for email.

Mail can handle multiple e-mail accounts. Go to Preferences in Mail and just add an account. I currently have 5 accounts. One for work when I log into there, and others on the wilds of the internet.

If you share an account, you could use smart folders or rules to help a little in figuring out who the mail is directed to, if it has some obvious sign. Rules allows you to color code e-mails I think, and diffinately allows you to move mail to another mail folder.

BrianjG 11-30-2005 05:04 PM

guys, I know I can add multiple pop and imap account but we connect to a MS Exhcange server. MAPI. It doesnt give me the option to add 2 exchange accounts.

Plus the rules idea would be more hassle then what I looking for.we would prefer to keep all mail seperate If needs be I'll use something else beside mail.

fernando87 11-30-2005 10:44 PM

The most popular alternatives to Apple Mail are Mozilla Thunderbird and Microsoft Entourage. Thunderbird is free (http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/) and Entourage is part of Office 2004 for Mac (http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product...=entourage2004)

IronMac 12-01-2005 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianjG
guys, I know I can add multiple pop and imap account but we connect to a MS Exhcange server. MAPI. It doesnt give me the option to add 2 exchange accounts.

Plus the rules idea would be more hassle then what I looking for.we would prefer to keep all mail seperate If needs be I'll use something else beside mail.

This might help. You might also look into 'Fast User Switching'


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.