New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Which iPad should I get?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
Qtpyinnj

 
Member Since: Apr 09, 2012
Posts: 18
Qtpyinnj is on a distinguished road

Qtpyinnj is offline
Hi all,

I am pretty certain I am going to purchase the iPad, but I am not sure which should I get; iPad 2 or the new iPad. I will mostly use it for flipping through electronic flashcards that I make online. Since there will be hundreds of cards, I figured a tablet would be the best route to go as I will be able to take it with me where ever I go. Printing the cards out won't be such a good idea. I will also be reading books on PDF files. As of now, that is pretty much it. What do you all recommend for me?

Oh, by the way, I've only started using a MAC less than a year ago. I bought a used 20" iMac powerpc just to familiarize myself with the MAC platform. So far so good. Any tips and suggestions anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

P.S. I hope I posted this in the right area.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 37,112
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

chscag is offline
Either iPad would be fine for what you stated you need it for. The iPad2 has been reduced in price and is still a very capable tablet.
QUOTE Thanks
CanuckBoater

 
Member Since: Sep 16, 2007
Posts: 215
CanuckBoater will become famous soon enough

CanuckBoater is offline
Ipad 2.

The newer iPad is evolutionary.

As stated above, the second generation is very capable.
QUOTE Thanks
Qtpyinnj

 
Member Since: Apr 09, 2012
Posts: 18
Qtpyinnj is on a distinguished road

Qtpyinnj is offline
Thank you both. I'm just a simple gal when it comes to tablets and sometimes all of the technology can be overwhelming. What is so different about the new iPad? I have read about the retina display, but I have no idea what that is. Pardon my ignorance and thanks again for helping me.
QUOTE Thanks
firesidedog

 
firesidedog's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 31, 2009
Location: California
Posts: 320
firesidedog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook pro,2009,Mavericks, 2.66 ghz, 4gb ram, hdd 320gb Ipad2 32gb wifi+3g Ipod touch 3rd. gen.

firesidedog is offline
I still love my iPad 2.

A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
Albert Einstein
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

 
Member Since: Jan 17, 2010
Posts: 1,469
EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

EndlessMac is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtpyinnj View Post
What is so different about the new iPad? I have read about the retina display, but I have no idea what that is. Pardon my ignorance and thanks again for helping me.
One big difference is the retina display which is just Apple's fancy way of saying that the screen has a very high resolution. The resolution is so high that is hard for the average person to see all the digital pixels on the screen. If you do a lot of reading you might want to think about getting the new iPad.

Before making up your mind it might be a good idea to try out both if can in a store. If you have an iPhone 4 you'll know how sharp and clear everything is with its retina display. You will get this benefit from the new iPad.

I personally dislike reading for a long time on the iPad 2 due to the lower resolution. You may not have that problem.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

 
chas_m's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 22, 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 15,696
chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

chas_m is offline
While not in all ways relevant to your request, you wanted to know what's different about the latest iPad.

In addition to the Retina Display (which is super-duper nice and great for reading), there is also a much improved camera. I have always scoffed at the notion of an iPad camera but having taken some test shots and video with it, I recant my scoffs somewhat. It's actually a pretty remarkable camera (given the lack of optical zoom).

My favourite feature in the new iPad is Siri Dictation (well, behind the Retina Display). I love dictating my emails (and sometimes forum messages and all kinds of other stuff). Takes a bit of getting used to (saying punctuation etc) but it's great.

There's generally a faster, smoothing feel to it as well. And being able to watch genuine HD tv shows and movies on it is terrific too.

For an extra $100, I'd say if you can afford it go for the new one. If not, the iPad does have the advantage of being a bit lighter and thinner than the new iPad (they had to make the battery bigger to run that dream screen in the new one). Either way, you'll be amazed how much technology is packed into this thing.
QUOTE Thanks
Qtpyinnj

 
Member Since: Apr 09, 2012
Posts: 18
Qtpyinnj is on a distinguished road

Qtpyinnj is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post

Before making up your mind it might be a good idea to try out both if can in a store. If you have an iPhone 4 you'll know how sharp and clear everything is with its retina display. You will get this benefit from the new iPad.

I personally dislike reading for a long time on the iPad 2 due to the lower resolution. You may not have that problem.
I will be doing a lot of reading on the iPad and decided to just go to the store and try them both out to see which would be better for me. I am thinking the new iPad may be best since I get headaches if I read in an area lacking sufficient light. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks
Qtpyinnj

 
Member Since: Apr 09, 2012
Posts: 18
Qtpyinnj is on a distinguished road

Qtpyinnj is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
While not in all ways relevant to your request, you wanted to know what's different about the latest iPad.

In addition to the Retina Display (which is super-duper nice and great for reading), there is also a much improved camera. I have always scoffed at the notion of an iPad camera but having taken some test shots and video with it, I recant my scoffs somewhat. It's actually a pretty remarkable camera (given the lack of optical zoom).

My favourite feature in the new iPad is Siri Dictation (well, behind the Retina Display). I love dictating my emails (and sometimes forum messages and all kinds of other stuff). Takes a bit of getting used to (saying punctuation etc) but it's great.

There's generally a faster, smoothing feel to it as well. And being able to watch genuine HD tv shows and movies on it is terrific too.

For an extra $100, I'd say if you can afford it go for the new one. If not, the iPad does have the advantage of being a bit lighter and thinner than the new iPad (they had to make the battery bigger to run that dream screen in the new one). Either way, you'll be amazed how much technology is packed into this thing.
It is clear that you REALLY like the Retina display. I was watching the new iPad video on Apple's website last night, and I am pretty sure I am going to bite the bullet and go for the new one. I will be doing a LOT of reading on it, and sufficient light is a MUST. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. I really appreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

 
chas_m's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 22, 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 15,696
chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

chas_m is offline
No problem. One other reason I really like the new Retina Display is because of the colour accuracy, it's said to be 99 percent colour-accurate out of the box. For photos, this is a HUGE deal.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« iPhoto transfer from Duo to Quad | registry cleaner for ibook g4 »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Apple Launches New iPad OneMoreThing... Apple Rumors and Reports 1 03-07-2012 05:44 PM
The big list of ipad cases (and where to get them + prices) the8thark iPad Hardware and Accessories 30 06-18-2010 07:49 AM
iPad FAQ Lotus Esprit iPad Hardware and Accessories 0 04-12-2010 08:31 PM
15 Reasons to Consider Purchasing an iPad! pigoo3 iPad Hardware and Accessories 83 03-27-2010 10:14 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?