New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

turn off, really turn off, Macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aging elderly

aging elderly is on a distinguished road

You can't keep a good man down, I guess. What do I have to do to get my MacBook to turn off? Apparently there's that scary virus going around, so I thought I'd upload the latest virus-fighting stuff. To do that, I need to turn off the 'book. I keep getting to the rectangle that asks, "Are you sure you want to shut down your computer now?" And I'm like, yeah, let's do it. Everything disappears except the desktop photo. I think there's some way to strangle the computer, isn't there, by holding down three keys the way Dr. Spock would do that thing to people at the base of their neck?

[icon here of Dr. Spock disabling opponent]
QUOTE Thanks
aging elderly

I hear you got a PhD. How can a smart guy like you not know how to turn off a computer?

[woops, just found out that this is called a double post. Paradoxically, it can't be cancelled, though apologies can be appended. Words proliferate, even the words to end the words, or to apologize for them. So, sorry, and now I'll shut up.]
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb

If it's not shutting down, there must be something from preventing it from doing so.

Click on the Apple logo, and force close any apps that are running (if normal app closing won't do it), then try to shut down.

Play the guitar?! Check out the [newly created]Mac-Forums guitar thread!
QUOTE Thanks
aging elderly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckoir View Post
If it's not shutting down, there must be something from preventing it from doing so.

Click on the Apple logo, and force close any apps that are running (if normal app closing won't do it), then try to shut down.
Thank-you, Chuckoir. The problem is that I already clicked on the Apple, but now there's no apple, as Eve said, licking her lips. It's just the desktop, with no icons or words. I can move the mouse around and dig into the edges and corners, but still nothing.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

You'll have to hard shutdown then. Hold the Power button until it shuts off.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
aging elderly

Stretch: You'll have to hard shutdown then. Hold the Power button until it shuts off...

aging elderly: Thanks Stretch! That did it. That was the Dr. Spock strangle thing that I couldn't quite remember. For folks like me, it's counter-intuitive to keep pressing what feels like the on button, ignoring the computer's polite question...feels like strangling. But it had to be done. Then I quickly updated my Java for Mac software [OS X 10.5 Udate 10 version 1], feeling like a pro. Supposedly Macs are in some danger this week, according to the article below. Are other people worried about this?

Widespread Virus Proves Macs Are No Longer Safe From Hackers - NYTimes.com
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by aging elderly View Post
Stretch: You'll have to hard shutdown then. Hold the Power button until it shuts off...

aging elderly: Thanks Stretch! That did it. That was the Dr. Spock strangle thing that I couldn't quite remember. For folks like me, it's counter-intuitive to keep pressing what feels like the on button, ignoring the computer's polite question...feels like strangling. But it had to be done. Then I quickly updated my Java for Mac software [OS X 10.5 Udate 10 version 1], feeling like a pro. Supposedly Macs are in some danger this week, according to the article below. Are other people worried about this?
So far it looks like more of the same overblown reporting based on promptings from AV firms trying to market their product.

There is obviously a Malware risk from Trojans, but I haven't seen any actual reports of anyone who has been infected by this.

If I were given just one wish it would be . . . that I could have three more wishes!
QUOTE Thanks
aging elderly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
So far it looks like more of the same overblown reporting based on promptings from AV firms trying to market their product.

There is obviously a Malware risk from Trojans, but I haven't seen any actual reports of anyone who has been infected by this.

Thanks Razormac. Well, I wasn't infected. It was a New York Times article, and in my experience they tend to overstate... So hopefully all's well that ends well.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Just to reiterate . . . There is a risk, and we should make sure we practice safe computing. Especially, not clicking on questionable links and blindly entering your password when asked.

If I were given just one wish it would be . . . that I could have three more wishes!
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Wow, the fluff and contradictions in that article really amaze me. They have no facts, yet spout their words as absolute truth. But hey, I guess this is why the world is the way it is.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
aging elderly

Razormack: Just to reiterate . . . There is a risk, and we should make sure we practice safe computing. Especially, not clicking on questionable links and blindly entering your password when asked...

aging: okay, thanks Raze, I'll be careful. If I hear anything, I'll let you know.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aging elderly View Post
Razormack: Just to reiterate . . . There is a risk, and we should make sure we practice safe computing. Especially, not clicking on questionable links and blindly entering your password when asked...
This has ALWAYS been true of computing on the net in general. If you click on a phishing link that is in your email etc.. you can be redirected to a site that asks for personal information without you even knowing it. This is nothing new.

Using common sense when on a computer should be rule one. Unfortunately, people think that everything they see should be taken at face value. None of that has anything to do with how secure OS X is at its core.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
aging elderly

okay, words to the wise from you guys, thanks. I'll use common sense. Maybe if I'm not sure about some link I'll bring it here and ask about it.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

At the risk of undermining some of the very sage advice you have received here, you mentioned that you are still running OS X 10.5 – and thus, you are still at risk. The Java update you refer to is months old, and does not address the current problem. You should disable Java in your web browser's preferences. You should also consider upgrading to Snow Leopard if your Mac supports it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« sd card? | Mac Cleanup »