New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Airport extreme + hub + HDD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ernie_2

ernie_2 is on a distinguished road

I have a new AEBS and want to connect a printer and an external HDD to the usb port.

When the HDD is connected through an unpowered hub it is not detected (a bit strange, since the HDD has its own power supply). But, as recommended, I bought a powered hub and this works - partly. Reading from the disk works, but when writing to the disk it is stuck somewhere in the process. Parts of files are actually written but usually not completed. The disk light doesn't blink anymore but has a constant glow. From then on the disk is not seen anymore and I have to disconnect/reconnect the disk to get it started again.
The HDD is a WD Essential se 1.5 TB (HFS formatted) and works perfectly when connected directly to AEBS without the hub. The hub is Trust branded, USB 2.0 and powered.

Any advice? Before I buy another hub I would like to be confident that it will work...
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

you can only attach 1 device to the USB port on an Airport Extreme. Unfortunately a USB hub is not one of those things. You can attach either a USB Printer OR USB Hard drive.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
ernie_2

ernie_2 is on a distinguished road

I quote from the official setup guide:
  • Connect a USB hub to your AirPort Extreme, and then connect multiple USB devices, such as printers or hard disks. All of the computers on the network have access to those devices.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Which Ipad 3rd generation should i get 16g or 32g?? | iMac vs Mac Mini/Mac Mini Server? »