New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Which secondhand mac pro 2.8 ghz?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

antonvdk

antonvdk is on a distinguished road

HI, I've got a question, I'm looking for a secondhand mac pro and have found a mac pro 2.8 ghz 8-core from 2008 with 4 gigs of ram and I have also come across a mac pro 2.8 quadcore from mid 2010 with 8 gigs of ram.
which one is better suited for logic productions?

I mainly want to run audioproductionstuff aka logic on it with the rme fireface 800 and lots of instrument plugins (eastwest libraries and stuff), is it wise to buy a 4 year old mac pro or should I go for the 2010 quadcore?

what are the opinions on this?

I am currently using a macbook pro 2.53 GHz intel core 2 duo with 4 gigs ram, but I really want something more powerfull (64bit use)

greetings,

Anton from Belgium
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonvdk View Post
HI, I've got a question, I'm looking for a secondhand mac pro and have found a mac pro 2.8 ghz 8-core from 2008 with 4 gigs of ram and I have also come across a mac pro 2.8 quadcore from mid 2010 with 8 gigs of ram.
which one is better suited for logic productions?
It took me all of about 2 seconds to decide...easy choice...I would get the 2010 quad-core.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
antonvdk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
It took me all of about 2 seconds to decide...easy choice...I would get the 2010 quad-core.

- Nick
Seems like I won't be able to get it, somebody did a higher bid...
The 2008 8core is still available, still worth buying a 4 year old mac pro?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The 2008 8core is still available, still worth buying a 4 year old mac pro?
Certainly...for the right price!...but what the right price is in Belgium at the moment I don't know.

If you don't know either...go to "mac2sell.net"...choose Belgium as your country...and enter the specs of the Mac Pro you are interested in. This will give you an approximate value.

Combine this estimate with the other pricing info you have available...and decide what a good price for that 2008 Mac Pro would be.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
antonvdk

Thx for the feedback Nick!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

Same answer Anton as you got at MacTalk Australia plus other forums. Later model.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
antonvdk

aight, I've just won the highest bid on the mac pro 2.8 ghz quad core for 1 698.84 U.S. dollars (1300 euros)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
aight, I've just won the highest bid on the mac pro 2.8 ghz quad core for 1 698.84 U.S. dollars (1300 euros)
That would seem to be a pretty good price...since Mac2Sell.com (Belgium) says that it's worth 1780 euros .

Congratulations!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Two Questions | can't find migrated files »