New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Need help, messed up external harddrive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iandrew95

iandrew95 is on a distinguished road

Ok, I have a WD 500gb External drive that I had over 100gb of info stored from my windows computer. My Imac asked me if I wanted to back up, and now it is reformatted to OSX. I have lost all of my information and pictures...and it won't work on my windows 7 laptop. Is there anything I can do?
QUOTE Thanks
Bob_Stan

Bob_Stan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.5 Ghz Quad Core i7,SSD,3TB Fusio Fusion,32GB . MBPro 2.2Ghz 128GB SSD, 500GB HD, 8GB

Unfortunately if it is reformatted to OSX, I believe all the information is gone
QUOTE Thanks
iandrew95

iandrew95 is on a distinguished road

There is not a way I can retrieve the files off the computer? Oh well. That's life. Stuff happens...but I still love this thing. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
bboggess

bboggess has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Yosemite, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S

You may want to give Photorec a try. I have recovered drives in similar situations using this. You can find it here:

PhotoRec - CGSecurity

Bill
QUOTE Thanks
Mini_mi

Mini_mi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme

Hey iandrew95,

I just read an article about Data Rescue 3 from Mac Data Recovery, Hard Disk Data Recovery Software, Windows Data Recovery - Prosofteng.com that claimed it could recover data in a situation like yours. I personally haven't used it but you might want to check it out.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If you've already copied a backup on to the external drive after it was reformatted, you're not going to be able to recover with Data Rescue 3 or Photorec. If you haven't written anything to the drive yet, give Data Rescue 3 a try. Download their trial version to test before spending $99 on a license.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaPeter View Post
Data Rescue or Stellar Phoenix Mac would be able to recover your lost data because while scanning these data recovery programs scan the drive deeply and pull out the recoverable data as much as possible. I hope these programs will help you.
As stated above, once the data has been overwritten neither Data Rescue 3 or Stellar Phoenix Mac are going to be able to recover the lost data. Only an expensive data recovery service has any chance of getting the data back and even that can be iffy.
QUOTE Thanks
MariaPeter

MariaPeter is on a distinguished road

Yeah you are absolutely right chscag the overwritten data can't be recovered by any data recovery programs.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safari 5.1.5 crashing due to strange app | iPad stylus question »