Unhappy Need help, messed up external harddrive
    Ok, I have a WD 500gb External drive that I had over 100gb of info stored from my windows computer. My Imac asked me if I wanted to back up, and now it is reformatted to OSX. I have lost all of my information and pictures...and it won't work on my windows 7 laptop. Is there anything I can do?

Specs:
    Mac Pro 3.5 Ghz 6 Core XEON, 1TB SSD,64GB . MBPro 2.2Ghz 480GB SSD, 500GB HD, 16GB
    Unfortunately if it is reformatted to OSX, I believe all the information is gone

There is not a way I can retrieve the files off the computer? Oh well. That's life. Stuff happens...but I still love this thing. Thanks.

Specs:
    late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Yosemite, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S
    You may want to give Photorec a try. I have recovered drives in similar situations using this. You can find it here:

PhotoRec - CGSecurity

Bill

Specs:
    2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
    Hey iandrew95,

I just read an article about Data Rescue 3 from Mac Data Recovery, Hard Disk Data Recovery Software, Windows Data Recovery - Prosofteng.com that claimed it could recover data in a situation like yours. I personally haven't used it but you might want to check it out.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    If you've already copied a backup on to the external drive after it was reformatted, you're not going to be able to recover with Data Rescue 3 or Photorec. If you haven't written anything to the drive yet, give Data Rescue 3 a try. Download their trial version to test before spending $99 on a license.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Quote Originally Posted by MariaPeter View Post
    Data Rescue or Stellar Phoenix Mac would be able to recover your lost data because while scanning these data recovery programs scan the drive deeply and pull out the recoverable data as much as possible. I hope these programs will help you.
    As stated above, once the data has been overwritten neither Data Rescue 3 or Stellar Phoenix Mac are going to be able to recover the lost data. Only an expensive data recovery service has any chance of getting the data back and even that can be iffy.

Yeah you are absolutely right chscag the overwritten data can't be recovered by any data recovery programs.

Thread Information