New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Can't get Azureus to work on new iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mrschmitt

mrschmitt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac G5 2.1Ghz 512 MB ram

We just got a new 20 inch iMac, and I can't seem to get Azureus to work. I was using a slightly older version of Azurues on my old iMac with no problems. Now I just got 2.3.0.6 for my new computer, and it loads up fine, but then just endlessly searches for new updates. I have tried d/l torrents with it, and nothing happens. I have also tried using the actual BitTorrent client, and I can't get anywhere either. Like I said, I was using both of these programs on my old computer without any troubles, but on my new computer, somthing has changed that is making these torrent files useless. Hopefully somebody else has had this issue, and has some ideas on how to help me out. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

There shouldn't be any issue if you didn't change anything in your network setup. Have you tried Transmission?

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

are you wireless? another client to try is tomato torrent, thats what i use
QUOTE Thanks
sirune

sirune is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook 12", ipod photo 20gig

i wouldn't even recommed azureus, try bits on wheels, a much better torrent program IMO.
QUOTE Thanks
mrschmitt

mrschmitt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac G5 2.1Ghz 512 MB ram

First of all, thank you for your replies so far. I still can't get any torrents to work on my new computer. The only difference that I can think of is that I had to phone my cable internet provider to have the modem "switched" over to a new computer. I have tried Tomato Torrent, Bit Torrent, and Azureus. In Azureus, it just endlessly searches for an update, and doesn't let me do a thing. In Bit Torrent, nothing happens, and in Tomato Torrent, it tells me that there is a problem connecting with the tracker. I have tried to completely turn off the Apple firewall, and this doesn't help at all. I'm starting to lose my mind since I'm sure that nothing else has changed. Hopefully somebody out there has also had this happen to them because I can't imagine a life without torrents.
Thanks everyone.
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

IronMac is a jewel in the roughIronMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschmitt
First of all, thank you for your replies so far. I still can't get any torrents to work on my new computer. The only difference that I can think of is that I had to phone my cable internet provider to have the modem "switched" over to a new computer. I have tried Tomato Torrent, Bit Torrent, and Azureus. In Azureus, it just endlessly searches for an update, and doesn't let me do a thing. In Bit Torrent, nothing happens, and in Tomato Torrent, it tells me that there is a problem connecting with the tracker. I have tried to completely turn off the Apple firewall, and this doesn't help at all. I'm starting to lose my mind since I'm sure that nothing else has changed. Hopefully somebody out there has also had this happen to them because I can't imagine a life without torrents.
Thanks everyone.
Do you have a router? It doesn't sound like it. If you don't, I don't recommend turning your firewall off completely. Turn your firewall on and add place for Bittorrent by opening ports 6881-6999 that should cover any tracker. If you DO have a router you will need to open said ports there too. Look under port forwarding or someting similar. You should also set you Mac to have a static IP.
QUOTE Thanks
hubert_uk

I got new iMAC 17" dualcore just few days ago(18 jan 2006), and I was aslo disapointed as Azureus, Aquisition would not work. Then I downloaded BitTorrent 4.3.5 and it works fine. Does not crash and has some good downloading speed. I hope it helps.
hubey
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What version of Tiger is on the machines that will not run Azureus? It could be 10.4.4 broke it. My 2.1 Ghz iSight iMac ran everything fine but have not tried a few things since the last update.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Azureus works fine in 10.4.4 for me

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
codie

i have just gotten the second newist imac (no intel chipset, still got isight and stuff tho) and i had a little bit of trouble with azerues cause my ISP had blocked some ports, try changog your port and you may find it works, also other programs might use the port its on so use the tool to test it.

if you have done this already ingor this.
QUOTE Thanks
Soccerji

mine just does not load, click the app to run it, it appears in my dock then after 3 seconds it dissapears, anyone know why ?
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

I got a new iMac too. it's a 17 inch. I've been having the same problems. Right now, I'm assuming that there's no torrent client that's supported by the dual core iMacs. Wait at most a few months, and they'll improve it.

Oh, and bittorrent runs SUPER slow for me (i know, torrents are supposed to be slow, but bittorrent is unbearably slow. I've used it on windows... MUCH better)
QUOTE Thanks
mpeters13

mpeters13 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.0ghz 15" Core Duo MBP

Hey guys. The reason azureus isn't loading has more to do with the newer intel macs. Sadly the azureus development team has done nothing to fix this yet, but there are hacked versions that fix the problem of not launching around the internet. Hope this helps. Schweb recommended Transmission which is a LOVELY torrent program. Give it a try!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

Check out Aquisition. You have to pay for a subscription, but it's a one-time-only type thing. I did and it's amazing. Fast xfer rates too, both on searches and torrents.
QUOTE Thanks
Jabjabs

Jabjabs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB

Azureus works fine on 10.4.2/3/4/5 for me. Did you make sure you have setup the ports correctly and that you have your firewall setup right?

Mac Life - Apple Mac computers news, forums and more...

http://www.finiteloops.com
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Concerned | Seeing USB Drive »