New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

just brought 2nd hand powerbook g4 ??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mumof4

mumof4 is on a distinguished road

hi i just brought a mac silver powerbook g4 my question is (please understand total novice with macs) i brought it for my daughter to do her mathletics homework so she could sit at kitchen bench so i didn't have to keep running down the hall to check on her
but i can't get it to upgrade the flash plyer so mathletics will work how do you do it please help !!
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

You may be out of luck. I'm not sure if it will run the latest version of flash as it is a 8 year old machine.

Just checked Adobe's site, the latest version that will run on your computer appears to be Flash 10.3

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
mumof4

u serious !! great guess the guy i brought it off was just in a rush to sell silly me i asked him to check before i brought it guess i be selling this and think i might stick to pc i know how to use them just didn't want to spend over $1000 for a 7 yr old on a new mac was trying to stick to a system she knows
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

How much did you get it for?

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
mumof4

$180 aus
QUOTE Thanks
mumof4

don't tell me that was too much ill cry even more
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumof4 View Post
don't tell me that was too much ill cry even more
Probably not a bad price...but it really depends on what exact model it is. There were LOTS of different Powerbook G4 models.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
mumof4

ok love the ......... its silvery colour how would i know what one it is
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
ok love the ......... its silvery colour how would i know what one it is
Sorry...almost all Powerbook G4's are all silver or mostly silver.

Go to "About This Mac" under the Apple Menu...that window will tell you the processor info which is the most important. If you know the diagonal display size...that helps as well.

But overall...this probably is not all that important...since the computer has been purchased already...and the money spent.

Do you have any idea what the system requirements are for this "mathletics". Is "mathletics" a website based activity?

When you try to go to the "mathletics" website...what sort of message are you seeing? Does it say what version of flash you need? Also realize...depending on the complexity of this website...a Powerbook G4 may not even run this website well (even if it can be upgraded to a version of flash that is needed).

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
mumof4

hi thanks for that matheltics is a pretty complex site from what im seeing needs the latest flash and a heap of memory so whoops on me shouldve checked lol just assumened if old pc can run it any old mac would work live and learn
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
hi thanks for that matheltics is a pretty complex site from what im seeing needs the latest flash and a heap of memory so whoops on me shouldve checked lol just assumened if old pc can run it any old mac would work live and learn
Yeah...older Mac's are sort of "whimpy" when it comes to flash. Newer Mac's are fine (but of course more expensive).

Since approximately 90% of the "computer world" is Windows based...most things are optimized for Windows computers...and sometimes (with older Mac's)...they are left behind.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Hubble

Hubble is on a distinguished road

Hello there,

Here you can download the latest working version of Flash Player for PowerPC MAcs, it should be working properly:

http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-3146232..._64_ub_mac.dmg

It's from macupdate.com

These machines still have some life in them!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why cannt i play sims 3 from gamefly on my mac? | 3 beeps on startup »