New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Apple care vs best buy protection plans

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hilliards

hilliards is on a distinguished road

Just bought my daughter an apple macbook pro for her to take off to college in fall. Which service would you purchase?
BB plan for 3 years covering all accidental damage including spills is $459 vs a $259 for apple care that doesn't cover that.
I want to purchase something as its a kid taking it to college and I am thinking it will get some hard use.
Thoughts?
thanks
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilliards View Post
Just bought my daughter an apple macbook pro for her to take off to college in fall. Which service would you purchase?
BB plan for 3 years covering all accidental damage including spills is $459 vs a $259 for apple care that doesn't cover that.
I want to purchase something as its a kid taking it to college and I am thinking it will get some hard use.
Thoughts?
thanks
Like you mentioned...the BB plan covers accidental damage & spills...the Applecare plan does not (of course you pay for that extra coverage)...$459 vs. $259.

Also be aware (the last time I looked into it)...the BB plan only covers ONE accident.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Bear in mind that the service you'll get at an Apple store or their helpline will be a lot better than at Best Buy, and even if Apple Care expires, you get pretty preferential treatment at the stores when there is a problem with your machine, with a cap on repair costs (which is unofficial, but fairly well understood).

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
Bear in mind that the service you'll get at an Apple store or their helpline will be a lot better than at Best Buy, and even if Apple Care expires, you get pretty preferential treatment at the stores when there is a problem with your machine, with a cap on repair costs (which is unofficial, but fairly well understood).
I would certainly 2nd everything mentioned! As well as say that sometimes Apple/Apple Store will repair things that are out of warranty.

One additional thing as well. If the BB policy is purchased...the computer still comes with 12 months of complementary Applecare...so for at least the first 12 months...there would be "double" coverage in some areas.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

You may also want to check with your home owner's insurance to see if it covers loss or theft of that new MacBook Pro. The chances of her new MBP getting stolen at college are lot greater than spills or accidental damage.
QUOTE Thanks
MacNasty

MacNasty is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iPhone 4S, MacPro 3.3 GHz 6 Core Intel Xeon /6GB RAM OSX 10.8.2, 27" display,i AirPort Extreme

Go with the Apple Care and just tell your daughter not to use her MBP as a coaster. Save $200 and having your daughter accept responsibility for her new computer - priceless!

Apple Care has always taken care of my families occasional Mac and iPhone issues and even addressed some issues I was unaware of. I will say that since I live relatively close to the local Apple Store service has been very convenient as well.
QUOTE Thanks
MacNasty

MacNasty is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iPhone 4S, MacPro 3.3 GHz 6 Core Intel Xeon /6GB RAM OSX 10.8.2, 27" display,i AirPort Extreme

A good cable lock could also save your daughter some grief when she leaves her dorm.
QUOTE Thanks
allmac1984

allmac1984 is on a distinguished road

Check out worthavegroup.com. They offer extended warranties and insurance (theft, vandalism, accidents, etc.) for a pretty good price compared to other companies that only offer extended warranties.
QUOTE Thanks
Geekbabe

Geekbabe has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilliards View Post
Thoughts?
thanks
I have a college freshman here, go with the BB coverage, no matter how careful your girl is, all it will take is one clumsy room mate, stumbling with a glass of water in her hand & that Mac will be a paperweight. You obviously want your child to care for her things but being in settings involving lots of other people adds an extra level of situations out of her control where her Mac could be damaged.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Should I get an ipad ..or | thunderbird for Leopard OSX »