New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Apple Accessories

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

marshy

marshy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2012 macbook pro 15" & 27" 2012 IMac

Hey everyone.
Just bought my first apple computer products. Had a bit of a bonus come through and the pc and laptop died at the same time (why does this always happen), so i thought i would treat myself and the mrs to a 27" iMac and 15" macbook pro.

But what i wanted to know was what accessories have you bought afterwards to help you.
For example i've got the wireless keyboard and trackpad so i have recently purchased the battery charger from apple.

So what extras could you now not live without?
QUOTE Thanks
Flapjacks

Flapjacks is on a distinguished road

speck rubber case for the macbook, keeps it looking fresh and feels good.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Macs generally don't need to be larded up with accessories, I'm surprised to hear the iMac didn't come with the wireless keyboard and trackpad (which should have been included as standard).

If the MBP is being used on a desk a lot I recommend a little riser to lift the back up a bit. Keeps it cooler and protects against spilled drinks (not that a drink should ever be within six feet of the MBP of course).

A good carrying case (Costco has a nice Swiss Army one for $15 last I looked) and an extra charger are about all I can think of apart from ...

... an iPhone and iPad!
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

An external hard drive to use Time Machine would be at the top of my list and if you are going to pack your MBP around a good case like a Brenthaven.
QUOTE Thanks
J.Fo

J.Fo is a jewel in the roughJ.Fo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, late 2012 model, 21"

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
An eternal hard drive to use Time Machine would be at the top of my list and if you are going to pack your MBP around a good case like a Brenthaven.
An "eternal" hard drive? Is that like one that never runs out of room?

Ditto on a backup drive. With the MBP, I would even recommend getting a Time Capsule for wireless backups for both it and the iMac.

QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Fo View Post
An "eternal" hard drive? Is that like one that never runs out of room?

Ditto on a backup drive. With the MBP, I would even recommend getting a Time Capsule for wireless backups for both it and the iMac.
Sorry thats what happens when you do not proof read before posting as you guessed
it should have been external.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I think only Norse Gods can get eternal hard drives. Gives them plenty of Thorage.

(sorry, couldn't resist)
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.1

I'd also go for an Apple Remote, the Twelve South BackPack Adustable Shelf, the Moshi Teraglove and an AppleTV latest version.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010, WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen,ATV2, Samsung LE40 Series 6, Denon AVR1910, Kef HTS 1001.2s and Kube-1 Sub
Denon DCD510AE, Panasonic DMP-BD60,Sky+HD,Logitech Harmony One Advanced. MOTM October 2012.
QUOTE Thanks
Apple Extreme

Apple Extreme is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: (Mid-2011) 27" iMac 2.7 GHz i5 20GB RAM, (Mid-2012) 13" MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz i5 4GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendlewitch View Post
I'd also go for... the Twelve South BackPack Adustable Shelf...
This is simply one of the BEST accessory inventions for the iMac! I found this in the Apple Store and placed my external Seagate HD (I use for Time Machine) on it in order to keep it off my desk. The HD is now out of sight, I don't see the wire hanging anymore and I don't have to keep moving the HD to clean around it. The Twelve South even has a little rubber pad for your item to sit on so it doesn't move around. Absolutely perfect!
QUOTE Thanks
marshy

sounds good this "eternal drive:
that shelf looks cool, how does it attach to the stand ?
Think i will be getting the Apple Tv as i get so bored watching the same old crap on tv lol.

Anybody else got anything they can't live without?
QUOTE Thanks
Apple Extreme

Apple Extreme is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: (Mid-2011) 27" iMac 2.7 GHz i5 20GB RAM, (Mid-2012) 13" MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz i5 4GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshy View Post
that shelf looks cool, how does it attach to the stand ?
The website says it uses gravity to sit tight. The shelf uses plastic clips and a screw to tighten it, so that holds it in place pretty well...

BackPack Shelf - BackPack Shelf - Twelve South
QUOTE Thanks
marshy

well i went into Apple in Birmingham today and got the rechargeable battery charger.
Did ask about Apple Tv but they are out of stock until friday.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Extreme View Post
The website says it uses gravity to sit tight. The shelf uses plastic clips and a screw to tighten it, so that holds it in place pretty well...

BackPack Shelf - BackPack Shelf - Twelve South
I had one of these for my iMac. Unfortunately I can't use it any more as I now have a MacBook Pro, but it is a pretty nice accessory.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
marshy

my bank balance is taking a beating !
Went in today just for a chat and walked out with a 2tb time capsule
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshy View Post
my bank balance is taking a beating !
Went in today just for a chat and walked out with a 2tb time capsule
The Apple Time Capsule is a pretty neat device (I have an older version that I purchased used at a very good price).

You do realize at the price of a new Time Capsule...you can accomplish pretty much the same thing for:

- about 50%-60% of the price with a wireless router and an external hard drive!
- if you already have a wireless router...then for about 25% of the Apple Time Capsule price...all you need is an external hard drive.
- and if you already have a wireless router & an external hard drive...it would cost you nothing!

Just trying to help,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Partitioning | syncronizing to get mail »