New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

bye bye windows

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iMat

im finally switching! i have ordered the following:

imac g5 17"
extra 1gb ram (1.5gb together)
microsoft office for mac
macromedia studio 8

should be here soon!

what are some must have apps/programs i should download?
QUOTE Thanks
Merlinblack

I'd dl VLC media player so that you can watch movies of all kinds without fighting Quicktime.

Other than that just download things as you see nessasary.

congratulations on the purchase.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Try looking at http://www.macupdate.com to see what the hot downloads are there. Also try the search button at the top of this forum. There have been several threads on the best Mac software to get.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Tiranis

http://www.pure-mac.com - pretty good list, not so many apps as on versiontracker or macupdate, but I find it better if you need to find a program for specific task.

Anyway, for IM - AIM, MSN, ICQ, Y!M, etc. I would recommend using AdiumX - http://www.adiumx.com. Also getting an app launcher like Quicksilver (I'm too lazy to search for the URL, sorry) would probably be good too.
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

i would have not bought office for mac and spent the extra money on a 20". there are other office programs that are out there that are compatible with ms office.

QUOTE Thanks
Berman

you need 2 gigs of ram. if you have matched sticks, the imac will use 64 bit addressing and will run faster. if you use the 512 it comes with and a 1gig stick, you only get 32 bit addressing which is sloer.

(or is it 64 and 128?) in any case, you need two matched sticks or you're leaving performance on the table.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Messenger:mac ......... File Transfer Issues! | mP3 converting program for Mac? »