New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

MobileMe to iCloud Questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NekkidFish

NekkidFish is on a distinguished road

Like others, I got notice that my MobileMe account was expiring and that I need to switch to iCloud.

I have Mac OSX 10.6.8 and I thought I understood that iCloud is for Lion and Mountain Lion users only. Is that correct?

If so, will I lose my .mac email account if I don't switch to iCloud?

I am very confused about this, so any and all information is most welcome!

Thanks! Julez
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Your questions should all be answered here:

Apple - MobileMe - MobileMe transition and iCloud

and here:

All about iCloud: Common signup scenarios | Macworld

Bottom line: upgrade to Lion before June 30th if your machine is physically able to upgrade.
QUOTE Thanks
NekkidFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Your questions should all be answered here:

Apple - MobileMe - MobileMe transition and iCloud

and here:

All about iCloud: Common signup scenarios | Macworld

Bottom line: upgrade to Lion before June 30th if your machine is physically able to upgrade.
Holy cow ... that is all so confusing!!

I seriously doubt I can upgrade, as my iMac is like 5 years old.

Can you provide one more link ... to show if I am able to upgrade? Is it worth it to me to upgrade? All I care about is keeping my .mac email address. =\

Thanks so much! Julez
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

If your machine is older than mine (mid-2007), you probably can't upgrade.

However, if you have at least one iOS device that can run iOS 5, you can upgrade to iCloud through it, and then your email should continue as normal.

You will not lose your .mac email address if you upgrade to iCloud, as I still have mine. However, I can't tell you clearly what will happen to your .mac account after June 30th if you don't upgrade. Apple haven't (as far as I know) explicitly spelled that out.

System requirements for Lion:
Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor
2GB of memory
OS X v10.6.6 or later (v10.6.8 recommended)
7GB of available space
QUOTE Thanks
NekkidFish

Quote:
If your machine is older than mine (mid-2007), you probably can't upgrade.

However, if you have at least one iOS device that can run iOS 5, you can upgrade to iCloud through it, and then your email should continue as normal.

You will not lose your .mac email address if you upgrade to iCloud, as I still have mine. However, I can't tell you clearly what will happen to your .mac account after June 30th if you don't upgrade. Apple haven't (as far as I know) explicitly spelled that out.

System requirements for Lion:
Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor
2GB of memory
OS X v10.6.6 or later (v10.6.8 recommended)
7GB of available space
Okay, I have an Intel Core 2 Duo.
3GB of memory
OS X 10.6.8

But, I can't find the available space. Can you tell me where I find that?

HUGz! Julez
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

The available space is printed at the bottom of every finder window, thus:

QUOTE Thanks
Ianto Jones

Ianto Jones is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook1.1, Intel Core Duo 2Ghz, 2GB RAM, 10.6.8

I can get to iCloud and my me.com via my iTouch 4th gen, but my older MacBook 1.1 doesn't meet the Lion system requirements.

I only use the laptop to read, surf, and listen to music (and write of course).
I don't see any reason to use financial or environmental resources to upgrade a unit that (apart from this email issue) meets my needs and has several years of use left in it.

Are there any workarounds for older Mac users?
The main article says that we're to be "left out in the cold".

Otherwise, I'll end up with a Windows box next go-round...

Thanks for any suggestions.
QUOTE Thanks
NekkidFish

Quote:
The available space is printed at the bottom of every finder window, thus:

I am so sorry I haven't been back. Okay, so I have 27.6 GB free ... so it looks like I'm good to go to be able to upgrade, right?

And, I was paying $99 a year for the MobileMe account, but if you upgrade to Lion, iCloud is free?

Thanks bunches!! Jules
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

Yes, all you need to do is upgrade to Lion (which you can buy for $30 from the Mac App Store, which you should already have).

Once that's installed, just revisit your Mobile Me "pane" in the System Preferences and you'll see a button that says "upgrade to iCloud." It's very painless from there, and your email will not change in any way (and you get to keep using it).
QUOTE Thanks
NekkidFish

Alrighty then ... thanks Chas!!

HUGz! Jules
QUOTE Thanks
class77

class77 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4

I have a Lion machine, a SL machine and 2 iOS machines. Currently, they're all being synced with MM. I know that iCloud will work with both iOS machines and the Lion machine, but how do I sync the SL machine which is my primary desktop and it's where both iOS machine(iPad & iPhone) are synced. I don't think I want to upgrade it.

My question is how do I sync my contacts/calendar/etc on my SL machine? Do I do it thru iTunes? I really confused about this one aspect of the change.

 24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
 2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
 iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
 iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by class77 View Post
I have a Lion machine, a SL machine and 2 iOS machines. Currently, they're all being synced with MM. I know that iCloud will work with both iOS machines and the Lion machine, but how do I sync the SL machine which is my primary desktop and it's where both iOS machine(iPad & iPhone) are synced. I don't think I want to upgrade it.

My question is how do I sync my contacts/calendar/etc on my SL machine? Do I do it thru iTunes? I really confused about this one aspect of the change.
You'd have to sync via iTunes.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
class77

class77 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
You'd have to sync via iTunes.
Thanks, that's what I thought