New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How does OS X allocate ram to applications?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

edokid

edokid is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone, have a question. On XP I notice that a lot of the time, most applications use little ram. If I have 1gb, a tiny program may be 1mb, Word may use 15 and so on. However, on my PowerBook, it seems like applications use tons of ram. Widgets seem to be around 25mb each as well. It seems as though the Mac takes all of your available ram, and allocates it to all running applications, is that correct? I've only been using 1 or 2 widgets because I'm paranoid I'm losing 100mb of ram to them! Thanks for the help!
QUOTE Thanks
supremeoverlord

most of the RAM that OSX uses is virtual ram, that is hard disk space. Whatever program your are using at the time takes as much real ram as it needs and everthing else makes due with virtual ram, this is why laptops might not be as speedy as slower desktops because of the faster drive it can write virtual ram faster allowing for quicker transitions from real to virtual ram. Very few programs hold onto more ram than they need so don't worry about it. its fine.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

To the best of my knowledge (someone correct me if wrong) Mac utilize more RAM than PC in cache to avoid diving into the hard drive all the time. I notice on the PC at work its constantly revving and accessing the drive while my Mac at home only revs when I access a large file.
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

IronMac is a jewel in the roughIronMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemoreau
Hey everyone, have a question. On XP I notice that a lot of the time, most applications use little ram. If I have 1gb, a tiny program may be 1mb, Word may use 15 and so on. However, on my PowerBook, it seems like applications use tons of ram. Widgets seem to be around 25mb each as well. It seems as though the Mac takes all of your available ram, and allocates it to all running applications, is that correct? I've only been using 1 or 2 widgets because I'm paranoid I'm losing 100mb of ram to them! Thanks for the help!
Check this out
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107918
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemoreau
Check this out

Hey Deus I grew up in SA used to love going to Enchanted Rock
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMac
This too:
http://developer.apple.com/documenta...outMemory.html
QUOTE Thanks
Redbrick

Redbrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Check this out

OT: Hamilton's Pools is awesome too.... But that's not really in SA
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Quote:
Check this out

Never been out to Enchanted Rock - heard it's awesome. Should go when I have a free weekend
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deus_ex_machina
Never been out to Enchanted Rock - heard it's awesome. Should go when I have a free weekend
Yeah I miss it down there.
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deus_ex_machina
Yeah I miss it down there. So many fresh parks. Pedenales Falls is good too.
You should check this out. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/f...st/index.phtml
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

Quote:
Yeah I miss it down there. So many fresh parks. Pedenales Falls is good too.
You should check this out. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/f...st/index.phtml
Pedernales is great - lately i've been visiting Bastrop/Buescher State Parks and the sites off the Blanco just outside of New Braunfels, when weather permits. Beautiful country out here
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Switcher's worries. | ever have a windows user see you using expose? »