New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Firefox or Google Chrome on your Mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I should post that I use IE and its the best, but it really does not run on OSX! Grin
I disagree!

ie_osx.jpg

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper - Confused about MacKeeper? Take a look at this review.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

For some reason I just don't like Chrome on Windows. Things missing that I love like the drop down menus in the bar and I saw no way to enable in the Windows version, so still use FF and Opera there. Also on Linux no Chrome or am i missing something Van?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

What emulator you using Van.?

Why not ditch Opera and Chrome then and use the Superior IE designed by Balmer himself! hahahahah
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Oddly enough, on Windows 7, I really like IE9. I still use Firefox on my Windows machines, but IE9 is a great move in many ways... now if they'd just abandon ActiveX, I'd even recommend it as a good (relatively safe) general purpose browser.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Quote:
Chrome does that but Safari?
Technically Apple gets paid by Google to give its users' information to Google's advertisers while providing none of the fine-tuned privacy controls present in Chrome or Firefox, but that's beside the point. Safari's primary purpose is to make Apple's hardware and ecosystem look shinier (the last part of the sentence you quoted), something that one cannot accuse Chrome of doing by virtue of the fact that Google isn't generally in the hardware business. The Safari team's conveniently iTunes-format-only implementation of HTML5 audio and video support also detracts from the notion that Apple actually cares about Safari promoting open standards, an essential part of promoting a better web experience.

This is spinning out of tangible land and into browser philosophy, which I don't think the OP was looking to get into at all, though (and clearly I don't care deeply about it since I shamelessly switch primary browsers as one gains dominance over the others). I like Firefox mostly because the browsers all have identical speed now, Firefox's list of options and extensions is far more extensive than that of the competition (one of those extensions being the best way to browse without having information collected all over the place), and themes for Firefox actually do more than change the background color, allowing me to make it look like Safari instead of the ugly troll it really is. Tab candy is also a nice exposé-esque approach to managing tabs, but much like the Reader in Safari and the Incognito window in Chrome, it's icing on the cake that I wouldn't describe as a huge selling point.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Chris, isn't IE10 due out? 9 is not that bad.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
For some reason I just don't like Chrome on Windows. Things missing that I love like the drop down menus in the bar and I saw no way to enable in the Windows version, so still use FF and Opera there. Also on Linux no Chrome or am i missing something Van?
Nope, Chrome works like a champ on Linux. As for my screenshot, it was VirtualBox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I have looked back at Firefox a couple of times with their recent series of rapid version number updates, but it just feels so clunky now. Especially since they haven't embraced some of Lion's UI elements like disappearing scroll bars and Apple-style full screen mode.

I'd echo the others' sentiments and say use whatever floats your boat... but I'm no longer as apt to endorse Firefox.
Fullscreen is coming shortly - here's a screenshot of the latest UX build:

ux_fullscreen.jpg

I don't want to encourage you to go back to Firefox though. I think we all know my feelings on Firefox, haha.

Quote:
Chris, isn't IE10 due out? 9 is not that bad.
It's in "test drive" status right now so it'll be a while.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper - Confused about MacKeeper? Take a look at this review.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Are you running Windows 7 in Virtual Box? Show me IE on it's own in OSX and I will be impressed!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Are you running Windows 7 in Virtual Box? Show me IE on it's own in OSX and I will be impressed!
That I can't do but I don't want to, haha. I say that while willing to admit that IE9 is decent and the first version of IE in a very long time that appears to have been cared about by MS. This is why complacency is a dangerous thing - MS got complacent with a 95%+ market share and IE quality tanks. As soon as they start hemorrhaging market share, they put effort into it.

QUOTE Thanks
mackb

mackb is on a distinguished road

Another thing about Chrome. If I use hotmail on my iMac, it will not let me copy anything. I don't know if its hotmail or my iMac that refuses to play nice, but every other thing I open in Chrome behaves very well on my iMac.

I think all the other browsers are just trying to play catch up to Chrome - badly. No contest. I fled IE after trying Chrome for a day, much much faster and never a crash - ever....
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

I'd say that they all try to chase each other and if you're a browser historian, you'd say that they all used to chase Opera.

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
and neither Safari nor Chrome has anything that can touch NoScript for when I want to be paranoid about trackers.
This isn't true. While there is no SINGLE plugin that replicates NoScript, there are two or three that more than do the job.
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
This isn't true. While there is no SINGLE plugin that replicates NoScript, there are two or three that more than do the job.
I'm actually legitimately interested in this topic, as NoScript is a large part of why I hold onto Firefox (another being Session Manager, the replacements for which on Safari and Chrome are somewhat lacking to say the least). I know Ghostery can block trackers it recognizes, but it cannot outright block all javascript/XSS/etc. from specified domains - I've also never seen it catch everything NoScript does. Is there another addon that helps with this?
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.2 & iPad - iOS 5.1

I have Safari, Firefox and Chrome installed and for the last 4 years I have only focussed on Safari.
However, due to some dark Canadian influences , I started checking out Chrome and I like it more only for the fact that it uses far less memory .... memory I can now use to work with larger Excel sheets.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBie View Post
However, due to some dark Canadian influences , I started checking out Chrome and I like it more only for the fact that it uses far less memory .... memory I can now use to work with larger Excel sheets.
Hey, I'm a positive ray of light!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Not getting wireless | tasks with wrong default time »