New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

backup devices for Mac & PC

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tape

tape is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac-27":OS10.8:3.4GHz:16G B iPhone5S

Awaiting delivery of iMac any day now and have been biting nails concerned over backups. Can't really afford the Timeline backup HD Apple sells after spending all that money for an iMac. Spoke to friend who has a WD 'MyBookLive' 1T he'll give me for $75. I need something I can backup both my new iMac and PC laptops. This looks like it is the answer. Has anyone had success or headaches with this device.
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

It is going to depend on how big the hard drives are in the Mac and Windows machines.

My own personal recommendation and one I follow is get a drive that is twice as large as the one you are backing up. I cannot answer as to how your Windows machine will back up, but for Time Machine, you have the first initial backup, then you have incremental backups as things change. When the drive is full, it starts deleting the oldest incremental backups as needed.

Having needed to recover over 132 albums in iTunes last week, I can attest at the ease and reliability (if you have a quality drive) of Time Machine and that it allows you to restore to any location, not just the original one.

I use a 1TB Western Digital drive for my MBP. It is hooked up to my AirPort Extreme. It has been flawless since it went live. I just bought another Mac (Mac Mini) to be a media server with a 500GB drive in it and I have a 1TB drive that will plug directly into the Mini. I have been happy with Time Machine.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
J.Fo

J.Fo is a jewel in the roughJ.Fo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, late 2012 model, 21"

Time Machine (Apple's built-in backup utility) is great! I've used it several times to not only restore a file that was accidentally deleted, but to recover entire systems after upgrading a hard drive or replacing an old Mac. I highly recommend it.

Like Deckyon, I recommend using the biggest hard drive you can for the back up. At the very least, make sure it's the same size as what's in your computer. If you can, try to find one that's a little bigger for extra piece of mind.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I Gennie? | C64 -> Amstrad -> Win3.11 -> Win95 -> WinXP -> Win Vista -> Win7 -> Mac »