New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Any advise before making the switch

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kmaultsby

kmaultsby is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone: I am new and about to make the switch and was looking for some advise. The only Apple I have ever had was the old Apple II C if anyone remembers those? Anyway I am still going keep my PC because of work and for some online gaming but everything else is going to the G5. I do video editing and I take a lot of digital picture and edit them with Adobe Photo Shop for a hobby and I was really impress with Final Cut Pro and Photo Shop on the Mac. First question our Mac commands easy to learn what tutorials our available? I am in this for the long haul. After all the times I upgraded my computer I could have had three Macs. How Macs handle backups? Anyone I there that dose any editing how many monitors are you using one widescreen or two 17 to 19 inch monitors? I will connect the G5 to my router. Any other setup issues I need to know?
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

The commands are pretty easy to learn, you will pick them up faster than you think.
QUOTE Thanks
jn4jenny

1. Look into GimpShop as a free alternative to Adobe PhotoShop, especially if you're only doing this as a hobbyist. It can be Googled.

2. Yes, Mac commands are easy to learn. Many of them are identical to PC commands, except you replace the "Control" button with the Apple/Command button. Google for "Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts" and that should get you going.

3. I don't know how others back up their Mac, but I back mine up this way: I have an external hard drive that's partitioned to make a disk image of my entire Mac so that I could load the whole thing, as-is, from disk if necessary (updated weekly) and I also have a separate partition that holds my important documents. Others use CD's or DVD's to do the same.

4. If you're going to be a widescreen or multiple screen user, you might want to download this free application: http://coolosxapps.net/2005/10/12/wraparound/

5. If you're in this for the long haul, GET APPLECARE. Even if you intend to sell your Mac in a year or two and you don't care if it lasts three years or not, you'll get a better resell price for your Mac if it's been under AppleCare and has some time left under warranty to be transferred to the new user.
QUOTE Thanks
sevenhelmet

sevenhelmet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum Macbook 2.4Ghz; Powermac G5 2.3Ghz dual

I knew virtually nothing, just tooled around on here for a month or so and looked at literally everything on the Apple Store website.

Computing-wise, switching to mac in the spring was the best thing that ever happened to me!

"Luck favors the prepared"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ahhhhh | Couple of quick questions for the experts. »