New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Considering an iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GwiDan

Hello everyone. I live in Wales, UK and I'm considering switching to a Mac from having always used Windows but I need to know if I'm doing the right thing. I want a Mac, but when I sit back and ask myself "why?" I really haven't got an answer.

Not only this, but it could prove to be a very expensive prospect, as none of my current software is compatible with Apple Macs, meaning I have to have a complete new suite of programs. Is there any chance of Apple bundling important packages like Office v.X Student Edition for free, so it's less of a burden on the pocket?

All your help in convincing me that a Mac is the right (or wrong choice) is greatly appreciated.

Cheers everyone.
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

Welcome to Mac-Forums!

i promise you will have no regrets if you spring for an iMac. ive used Apples all my life, but we have a large number of switchers here. as a matter of fact, our admin, Emrys, is a year old switcher. theyre great computers that are fast and easy to use.

as far as software, the major applications (Adobe, micrsoft and macromedia suites) are made natively for mac. not sure if you can get a free copy of Microsoft office, but your school might have a student discount. you can find out by going to the apple online store under the education section.

QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

At least here is how I got m$ office. The school my wife attend CSULB, California state University at long Beach, has a site license with m$. While your are in school you can get and use the software. I was luck enough to get it for $20.00. but now that she is out of school, I will have to buy my own license if I want to continue to use it. I am currently looking at AppleWorks, which can on my wife's iBook. If in Apple's get upgrade it can read Word files, then I am in business.
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

my school has a deal with M$, and any M$ product is $7. even XP pro

QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAddikt
my school has a deal with M$, and any M$ product is $7. even XP pro
Looks like your school has a site license also.
QUOTE Thanks
shadov

www.openoffice.org is free and runs on OS X.

In case you didn't know OpenOffice.org is open source project that started when Sun Microsystems released (part of) source code for their StarOffice suite. It's compatible with MS Office file formats and offers more than enough functionality for average user.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

I forgot about that. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
GwiDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadov
www.openoffice.org is free and runs on OS X.

In case you didn't know OpenOffice.org is open source project that started when Sun Microsystems released (part of) source code for their StarOffice suite. It's compatible with MS Office file formats and offers more than enough functionality for average user.
That sounds pretty good, thanks for the info. One more small question I have is whether there are any other "must-have" programs I need for it? As I won't really use it for any graphics intense functions, I won't need anything like Photoshop, but I'll probably get Photoshop Elements for imagery. Is there anything else that could be worth considering for "daily" use?
QUOTE Thanks
shadov

http://fink.sourceforge.net/ will be about the first thing I'll install when I get my Mac (I don't have one yet). It's command line tool for finding, downloading, installing, upgradig and removing free unix programs on OS X. There is a graphical user interface too http://finkcommander.sourceforge.net/
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

Hello everyone. I live in Wales, UK and I'm considering switching to a Mac from having always used Windows but I need to know if I'm doing the right thing. I want a Mac, but when I sit back and ask myself "why?" I really haven't got an answer.

Graphite: That would be god speaking to you in macintosh form, its the right thing to do

Not only this, but it could prove to be a very expensive prospect, as none of my current software is compatible with Apple Macs, meaning I have to have a complete new suite of programs. Is there any chance of Apple bundling important packages like Office v.X Student Edition for free, so it's less of a burden on the pocket?

Graphite: it is true, macintosh is a very expensive machine, but when your buying the best.. it will last for along long time (5years plus), if money is a big issue for you, I would get an eMac its not as pretty, but its pretty much an iMac for less.

All your help in convincing me that a Mac is the right (or wrong choice) is greatly appreciated.

Graphite: To have a mac is to have the cutting edge of technology on your side, you have the best OS known to man, and a wide expanse of software. Stability beyond your wildest dreams, and more than enough speed to back it up. You will learn to love your mac.. its a new world.

Cheers everyone.
QUOTE Thanks
GwiDan

Some very convincing posts in here!

I see that the 20" iMac has just been launched, too, but surely, there aren't any serious advantages to getting that over a 17", are there?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwiDan
Some very convincing posts in here!

I see that the 20" iMac has just been launched, too, but surely, there aren't any serious advantages to getting that over a 17", are there?
unless you need the screen real estate.
QUOTE Thanks
GwiDan

I've looked around quite a bit, and I've discovered that a G5 is better for me than a 17" iMac, which is great! Official Apple RAM is quite expensive, I note though, but I've heard that Crucial make excellent replacements at a cheaper price.The problem is, being new to Macs, I don't know what I'd need off them. I'm looking for around 1GB RAM, ideally, so could someone guide me somehow?

Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
JazzTrpt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwiDan
I've looked around quite a bit, and I've discovered that a G5 is better for me than a 17" iMac, which is great! Official Apple RAM is quite expensive, I note though, but I've heard that Crucial make excellent replacements at a cheaper price.The problem is, being new to Macs, I don't know what I'd need off them. I'm looking for around 1GB RAM, ideally, so could someone guide me somehow?

Thanks again.
Go to www.4allmemory.com. It takes you step by step through what kind of computer you have to determine which RAM you need. They have decent prices too.
QUOTE Thanks
GwiDan

I'll check it out, thank you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« .mpeg-2. | Just switched.... A bit lost though! »