New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

upgrading powermac g4 to snowleopard ??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

philj473

philj473 is on a distinguished road

hello

i currently have leopard 10.5.8 on my powermac g4 and i want upgrade it to snow leopard to run ilife 09 and garage band

my mac info as follows

processor: dual 450mhz powerpc g4
ram 1.5 gb sdram
bus speed: 100ghz
number cpu 2

will my mac be able to handle the upgrade, i have snow leopard on dvd rom

please help
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Not going to happen. Snow Leopard is for Intel processors ONLY, and your (ancient by computer standards) machine cannot be upgraded to an Intel processor.

So you can toss that copy of Snow Leopard you have, it won't do you any good.

The solution is to buy a new(er) Intel-based Mac. You present machine is at least 11 years old if your description is accurate.
QUOTE Thanks
philj473

is the anyway of me running ilife on this mac or even just garage band ?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

You will have to get hold of an older version, but iLife should run fine.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
philj473

i was thinking of downloading ifile 06 but then again i dont know how well it would run on leopard 10.5 or would it be best to revert bak to tiger as mac is new to me im used to Microsoft. and thanks for all your help
QUOTE Thanks
philj473

when i downloaded ilife it came up in a warrning box saying i need 10.7 onwards to install this also i dont think the graphics card is powerful enough to cope with some of the apps i need
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by philj473 View Post
when i downloaded ilife it came up in a warrning box saying i need 10.7 onwards to install this also i dont think the graphics card is powerful enough to cope with some of the apps i need
Sounds to me that you may have downloaded a version of iLife that is too new for your Mac. Your Mac (at best) can only run OS 10.5.8...so there's no way you're going to be able to run OS 10.7 if you cannot run OS 10.6 (no Intel cpu).

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
philj473

hello ok to make things run a little bit smoother would it be worth updating to os x 10.5.8 combo ?? or is it not worth it and also do you know of a place i an get a more up to date mac without it costing to much as im am a student

many thanks philip
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
hello ok to make things run a little bit smoother would it be worth updating to os x 10.5.8 combo ?? ...or is it not worth it
I'm not sure what you're asking. Your first post in this thread said that you already has OS 10.5.8 installed on your Powermac G4...so there would be no reason to mess with the "10.5.8 combo" installer.

Quote:
...and also do you know of a place i an get a more up to date mac without it costing to much as im am a student
What's your budget?

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
philj473

hmmm not alot only around 200 atm

many thanks philip
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
hmmm not alot only around 200 atm
Ahh...you must in the UK (and up late)...it must be around 3am at your location!

Used Mac's in the UK are pretty pricey...and I don't think that 200 will get you very much.

Try checking e-Bay (UK)...and get an idea what 200 will get you.

HTH,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

If you're actually running 10.5.8 on an 11-12 year old machine, then first of all may I say congratulations!

If you can find a LEGAL (let me repeat that, LEGAL) ie retail DVD of iLife 06, that should work. Anything newer will definitely not work. Do not go with any "download" of iLife 06, this is a frequent source of malware and is of course illegal.

I appreciate that you're a student (believe me I know all about tight budgets!) but other than the solution above, you're really going to need to move up to a newer machine (one made this century) before much longer. It doesn't have to be brand new but a lot newER than the one you've got.

As you're currently using a PowerMac I'd suggest you look for a good deal on an Intel Mac mini (2007 or later). You can retain your monitor, mouse and keyboard and should be able to find one for not a lot more than your present budget. A Core Duo or Core Solo model would be cheapest but can't be upgraded past Snow Leopard (which will put you right back in the present situation in a year or two's time) so keep an eye out for a good deal on a Core2Duo Mac mini via Craigslist or other such sites.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
philj473

Thanks

Yeah it did take some work and some effort and hardware to get it as far as leopard osx 10.5.8 that why i thought maybe there was a way to make the final push to snow leopard but I have found this difficult , but maybe this is as far as I can push the power mac
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Thanks

Yeah it did take some work and some effort and hardware to get it as far as leopard osx 10.5.8 that why i thought maybe there was a way to make the final push to snow leopard but I have found this difficult , but maybe this is as far as I can push the power mac
You cannot "push" your Powermac G4 any further...even if you wanted to. OS 10.5.8 is the "newest" OS you can install on this computer.

Let me be very clear...you CANNOT install OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or OS 10.7 (Lion) because your Powermac G4 does not have an Intel cpu (it has a G4 cpu). OS 10.6 & 10.7 require an Intel cpu.

10.5.8 is the highest you can go with this computer!

- Nick

p.s. With a Powermac G4 (450mhz)...technically you aren't even supposed to be able to run OS 10.5.8 (Leopard)...since officially from Apple you need a minimum of an 867mhz cpu. So you must have used a program like "Leopard Assist" in order to get OS 10.5.8 to install on your Powermac G4.

QUOTE Thanks
philj473

hey

my macbook battery died after 837 cycles so i bought a new one which is now in my macbook however my macbook doesn't not seam to pick up the new battery, i know the new battery works because i have tried it a another macbook and it worked fine but just not in my mac??? i don't what it could be.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Snow Leopard | Videos saved from a PC wont play on new Mac »