New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

My wife bought me an iMac!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kendrick

Kendrick is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone. I am new to the forum and new to the Mac computer world. I've used an iPad and iPhone for years now though. My wife bought me a refurbished iMac G5 PowerMac processor with OS X Leopard. So far, I love it! However I have a few questions. If I see a program that's been updated for Lion, can I still download and use it? Or do I need to download an earlier version as its too "new"? Also, are there must have programs I need or think I may want? I look forward to learning the Mac so I will be advanced when I update! Thanks people!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendrick View Post
However I have a few questions. If I see a program that's been updated for Lion, can I still download and use it? Or do I need to download an earlier version as its too "new"?
The "newest" OS version your iMac G5 can run is OS 10.5.8. So any program that requires OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or Lion (10.7)...like you mentioned...is too "new". You would need a version of the program that is compatible with OS 10.5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendrick View Post
Also, are there must have programs I need or think I may want? I look forward to learning the Mac so I will be advanced when I update! Thanks people!
It really depends on what you do with your computer. What's a "must have" program for one person...may not be for another person. But I'll suggest a couple programs that may or may not interest you:

- Onyx: A great maintenance program for the Mac.
- NeoOffice: A free Microsoft Office like program for the Mac.

Have fun with your G5 iMac...just remember...this is approximately a 5+ year-old model computer...so it will have it's limitations.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I'm going to assume there are PPC versions still of Flip4Mac WMV Player and Perian to help with playing all the various video formats out there, otherwise I agree with pigoo's suggestions.

G5 iMacs are from a long time back in "computer time" so there will be a lot of stuff that's not available for you, but if you double-check PPC compatibility before downloading a lot of developers still make PPC versions available (without support), and there are tons of era-appropriate software packages available for cheap on Ebay et al (be careful to buy from legit sources!).
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Just responding to the thread title here.
You've got a great wife!
QUOTE Thanks
ShadowDan

ShadowDan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini PowerPC G4 Mac OS X 10.5.8 120 GIG HDD Ethernet

Hey mate Welcome to the awesome world of Macs. I too am using an outdated Mac, somewhat. With 10.5.8 but with what I need to use it for, photoshop lightroom editing and photoshop manipulations, I'm right as rain. Suprised Photoshop Lightroom 2 runs well on this little thing.

I do intend to upgrade as soon I do have the funds. but until I'm happy exploring my machine as you will

And your wife is awesome! For buying you this
QUOTE Thanks
Kendrick

Kendrick is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone! I will try and see what I really want to do on this thing. I have so many pictures and music I need to transfer over to my new computer too so thatll definitely take some time! LOL. My wife is pretty amazing. I know she appreciates those comments!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lion Mail & Exchange: Why are there two inboxes and 1 is not working? | Sharing data between Mac and Macbook Air »