New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New Mac user here; and need HELP!!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fredconk

fredconk is on a distinguished road

On 2 separate occasions I have been on pages where it said I needed Adobe Flash. Well this Mac being new should have it shouldn't it? If not where should I get it? I was thinking I need to go to the Apple Store and download it, is that right? Even in this forum, at one time I had four or five different windows open that were just slid to the side. How do I close one without closing them ALL at once? Another question PLEASEEEeee? OK. How do I copy and paste? In windows I used the highlite then control C then control V. That don't even want to work here (although y'all already know that).
Thank you for your help in answering these questions. Oh one more thing. once I was reading a post in here (THIS FORUM) and I opened a new thread well the top box said to type help in it? WHY? Did it get posted anywhere. That was one of the many windows I had open earlier.
Hummm guess my name shoulda been DAZED N CONFUSED huh? Thanks again. <-incognito
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Welcome.
Firstly. There is currently a bug with Adobe flash and Lion (I assume you are ion Lion, as the Mac is new). This will eventually get fixed in updates I suspect, but it may be a while.
There's a thread on Adobe forums about it here:
Adobe Forums: Working around the 10.7 Lion Flash Player settings bug

Copy and paste is highlight, command (Apple key) and C at the same time to copy, and Command and V to paste, or you can use the finder menu under the edit tab.

Not sure about the help tab, I've not seen that. Unless you clicked the help tab for your browser, or hit a hot key that triggered it.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredconk View Post
On 2 separate occasions I have been on pages where it said I needed Adobe Flash. Well this Mac being new should have it shouldn't it?
Macs aren't pre-loaded with Flash anymore because it is CONSTANTLY being revised and updated, mostly due to security issues. This began with the MacBook Air, but I have to point out that Windows doesn't come with Flash pre-loaded either.

As for where you download it, well ... um ... maybe adobe.com? Just sayin' ...

Quote:
Even in this forum, at one time I had four or five different windows open that were just slid to the side.
Bad newbie! Wrong!!

Safari (and Firefox, come to think of it all browsers nowadays) use TABS for multiple "windows," not actual separate windows. Try it, you'll like it.

PS. How to close multiple separate windows from the same application? Command-q, ie quit.

Quote:
How do I copy and paste? In windows I used the highlite then control C then control V.
You'll find over time that MOST Windows commands that used "control" this or that work on Mac with COMMAND this or that. The command key is the one next to the spacebar on either side. It'll take a while for your fingers to adapt, but it generally works the same.

I'd also recommend Switch 101 and Mac 101 for you to help you get acclimated. Congrats on the new Mac!
QUOTE Thanks
Demapples

Demapples is a jewel in the roughDemapples is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
...recommend Switch 101 and Mac 101 for you to help you get acclimated. Congrats on the new Mac!
I found these very helpful when I switched. You seem to be experiencing very normal new-to-Mac disorientation. It will soon pass. Be patient with the learning curve.

Longtime Windows, then onto slippery slope with iPod/iTunes in 2006, then Apple TV, iPad, iMac, iPhone and finally rejuvenated a discarded MacBook. Happy camper.
QUOTE Thanks
fredconk

fredconk is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies and encouragement! I appreciated the tip about switch 101 and mac 101 also. Demapples in my opinion it was pretty cool also to back up the tip from another. Two days in this forum and I believe I will enjoy it here. Kevriano your custom Mac link works neat. I need to either bookmark it or put it somewhere I can use it often. Thanks to everyone !
QUOTE Thanks
Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision

Welcome Fredconk

I just converted to a Mac last month. I think I had to download the latest adobe update as flash videos such as YouTube would not play or it would be garbled.
This was on the newest IMac 21.5 running Lion.
QUOTE Thanks
Demapples

Demapples is a jewel in the roughDemapples is a jewel in the rough

I just deleted Flash from my iMac, largely so I don't have to wonder if the popups requesting that I update are real. Doubt I'll miss it. I always seem to find alternative sources of the same information.

Longtime Windows, then onto slippery slope with iPod/iTunes in 2006, then Apple TV, iPad, iMac, iPhone and finally rejuvenated a discarded MacBook. Happy camper.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Outlook '03 to Mac Mail | I'm going to take the plunge...but I have questions. »