New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Power warning

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Scoobie Newbie

Scoobie Newbie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" MBP, 2.5 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, OSX 10.9.....iTouch 4, 64gB....iPhone 5

My Mac used to let me know when I had 10 min of power but now it just shuts off. Any idea on how to put that warning back on? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

What's the condition of your battery? Download the free coconutBattery 2.7.2 to see what the overall condition of your battery is. Your battery may be diminishing too fast when it gets low in order for the 10 minute warning to be issued.
QUOTE Thanks
Scoobie Newbie

Mac Specs: 17" MBP, 2.5 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, OSX 10.9.....iTouch 4, 64gB....iPhone 5

battery is good 73% capacity
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

How old is this battery? 73% would suggest it's pretty old.
QUOTE Thanks
Scoobie Newbie

Curent capacity is 4363 mAh, design capacity 6300 mAh with 290 load cycles
QUOTE Thanks
Scoobie Newbie

Well I thought it was the battery but it happened again. I tried to restart it with no luck. I plugged it back in and fired it up. I still have 58% battery left so I am totally confused not as to what the issue is.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.1

Have you recalibrated the battery at all?

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010, WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen,ATV2, Samsung LE40 Series 6, Denon AVR1910, Kef HTS 1001.2s and Kube-1 Sub
Denon DCD510AE, Panasonic DMP-BD60,Sky+HD,Logitech Harmony One Advanced. MOTM October 2012.
QUOTE Thanks
TilkiliKiz

TilkiliKiz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Processor:2.7GHz Intel Core, 4GB 1333 MHz, Mac OS X Lion, 27 in. display

What battery is the OP speaking of? And is the only way to find out status of the battery with that coconut battery ?
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TilkiliKiz View Post
What battery is the OP speaking of? And is the only way to find out status of the battery with that coconut battery ?
Hi,we assume that it is the proprietary battery and there are several ways because this is a smart battery.

Here's one:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ery_fuel_gauge

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010, WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen,ATV2, Samsung LE40 Series 6, Denon AVR1910, Kef HTS 1001.2s and Kube-1 Sub
Denon DCD510AE, Panasonic DMP-BD60,Sky+HD,Logitech Harmony One Advanced. MOTM October 2012.
QUOTE Thanks
Scoobie Newbie

I have no idea how to recalibrate the battery. It is the second battery I have owned, from the Mac store. computer is over 3.5 yrs old I am concerned that it is not the battery now as both Coconut and the computer both indicatied that the battery was 58% full when it shut off this time. The times before I just assumed it was the battery. This has happened about 3-4 times now.
QUOTE Thanks
Scoobie Newbie

Happened again at 58% power, unplugged. Plugged in and it is working fine. Battery icon says service battery.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The battery may actually be bad. Why don't you try a new battery and if it does the same thing, return the battery for a refund. Or have them check it out at your local Apple store.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobie Newbie View Post
I have no idea how to recalibrate the battery. It is the second battery I have owned, from the Mac store. computer is over 3.5 yrs old I am concerned that it is not the battery now as both Coconut and the computer both indicatied that the battery was 58% full when it shut off this time. The times before I just assumed it was the battery. This has happened about 3-4 times now.
Hi,

Follow this link which explains things for you.
Apple Portables: Calibrating your computer's battery for best performance

What chscag says is probably right though, but if you are looking at potentially your third new battery in 3.5 years it might be that your charging regime needs adjusting to something more suited to Lithium which is in essence to recharge more regularly in smaller amounts rather than big, big recharges from the red-zone and beyond.

QUOTE Thanks
Scoobie Newbie

Thanks pendlewitch, I do big charges actually. Drain to close to nothing then recharge. I will adjust accordingly.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

My ibook did that and it was the battery. It started not giving the warning then as time progressed, it shut down at a higher and higher percent.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Syncing Itunes with New MacBook | Mac webcam »