New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Adding memory to new iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GCFarrow

GCFarrow is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27", iPhone 4, iTouch.

Hi All

I have just received my new iMac which came as standard with 4Gb RAM. (I believe this is 2 * 2Gb memory cards). I have ordered and received a further 8 Gb (2 * 4Gb) from Crucial, with a view to take my new machine up to a healthy 12Gb of RAM.

I was about to install the memory this afternoon so decided to look up 'How To' videos on Youtube. The reason for this post is that one of the videos mentioned that the memory should be paired the same size otherwise it will not take advantage of the dual channel aspect of the memory.

Does this mean if I have a mix of 2Gb Simms (2 * 2Gb) and 4Gb (2 * 4Gb) in the four memory slots that memory performance will be slower . If that is the case may be I should just add the 2 * 4Gb and remove the 2 * 2Gb leaving me with an 8Gb machine.

Help would be appreciated.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

No, it means they should be installed as matched pairs in the SAME bank. You already have 2 x 2 GB modules in the upper bank. Just leave them there. Place the 2 x 4 GB modules in the lower bank. The larger modules really should go in the upper bank for maximum efficiency and speed, however, removing and inserting modules in an iMac requires quite a bit of "thumb" effort, so it's best to leave the smaller modules where they are. I don't think it will make that much difference anyway.

You might want to use a cloth or small towel (or even gloves) to help push the modules in place. (To save your thumbs.)
QUOTE Thanks
GCFarrow

GCFarrow is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27", iPhone 4, iTouch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
No, it means they should be installed as matched pairs in the SAME bank. You already have 2 x 2 GB modules in the upper bank. Just leave them there. Place the 2 x 4 GB modules in the lower bank. The larger modules really should go in the upper bank for maximum efficiency and speed, however, removing and inserting modules in an iMac requires quite a bit of "thumb" effort, so it's best to leave the smaller modules where they are. I don't think it will make that much difference anyway.

You might want to use a cloth or small towel (or even gloves) to help push the modules in place. (To save your thumbs.)
Yet more fantastic advise from this great forum !!! Thank you very much, you have put my mind at rest. Following your note I installed the new memory this morning. Just booted up the iMac and it recognises the new memory so now on 12Gb.

You were right about the thumb effort !!!!

Thanks again
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time Machine Question | mac mini solo 10.8 snow leopard removing adminster name »