New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Please help urgent

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Omniscently

Omniscently is on a distinguished road

So I had to do paper for my English class, and I also had this massive project in another class so my thumb drive had my English paper and my other project, I had to compile the data for my project with my group and used some cheap-*** school Gateway computer, and now my Mac wont read it and my HP wont read it, I need help, I need the USB drive NOW and dont have time to re-write my 5 page paper. How do I reformat it so it will work on either computer, but not erase the data on it?
PLEASE HELP!!
QUOTE Thanks
Omniscently

I just got some stuff on it, it is formatted to FAT, and heard a while back that you can convert FAT/FAT32 to NFTS WITHOUT erasing data, does anyone know how? please help me!
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

If you reformat, you will lose all that is on there. What format did you save your project in?
QUOTE Thanks
Omniscently

it is in .doc but that isnt the issue, my flashdrive is in FAT and I need it to be NFTS and I just want to know the way to convert from FAT to NFTS without erasing all my data, thanks for replying
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Changing the format of the thumb drive won't help you at all. Almost all thumb drives out there under 16GB are, in fact, in FAT32 format. On top of that, you are misinformed that you can change the format of the drive without erasing it. Na ga ha pen.

What's ACTUALLY happened is that the directory of the thumb drive has been damaged. This is almost ALWAYS due to user error (not properly ejecting the drive from Mac or Windows before physically removing the drive). I have also seen occasions where the PC or the thumb drive itself was at fault and not the user, but these are extremely rare. 99.99% of the time, the user forgot to properly dismount/eject the thumb drive before removing it.

Here's some instructions that may help you:

How to Repair a USB Flash Drive That Is Corrupt | eHow.com

I hope this helps. Not that it's helpful at the moment, but for future reference vital documents that only exist on a thumb drive is pretty risky, so I always like to back up the thumb drive's contents either on a hard drive or a "cloud" drive if possible. If you are a current (Lion) Mac user, iCloud works great for this. For older OS X systems, Dropbox or Box or S3 or some other cloud system is available too.
QUOTE Thanks
Omniscently

wow ok, my group member lied to me then, thank you very much though
QUOTE Thanks
Omniscently

will repairing it erase the data?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

No, it won't. Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
JimboMac

JimboMac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Which one?

If you are able to, start storing documents "in the cloud." USB thumbdrives are not exactly known for reliability.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Strange | Importing Photos to iPhoto? Can I delete the files? »