New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Help! Duplicate Application icon/alias

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JDCANHA

JDCANHA is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Ive just taken over use of mac that had a strange blue applications icon/alias in the "PLACES" list where the regular icon usually is. I removed it and got it to the desktop and the regular apps icon is now in place. BUT I dont want to delete the weird blue one as it seems to have the full list of apps in it. When I compare to the apps folder in the route directory it seems to have all the same files and folders - but any changes i make to either apps folder reflect in the other apps folder (hope this makes sense) WHICH ONE DO I DELETE?

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
JDCANHA

JDCANHA is on a distinguished road

I realised it is only an alias - was only a few kbs in size... it would ask me for authentication when i tried to delete any files from inside (as this was relating back to the root directory) but when i deleted the alias itself there was no problem.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

You can tell an alias from the "real thing" by the little curved arrow at the bottom of the icon.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lexmark Double Sided Printing Greyed Out/Not Selectable | lost music and pics »