New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Syncing with mobile phone

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Rogerbrett

Rogerbrett is on a distinguished road

Can anyone tell me are there any phones apart from iPhones which will synchronise calendars from my iPad.
I have a Nokia N95 which I'm happy with but it won't sync the calendar with my iPad.
I want a cheap, cheap mobile that will sync.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Yosemite 10.10.1

Hi Rogerbrett and welcome,

If you've gone through the considerable expense of buying an iPad then maybe you should also consider an iPhone to match. I know it doesn't answer your question but it will be the path of least resistance.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
bazanders

bazanders will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB

Use google cal and you can use any android phone, it can be synced with ical no problem using caldav
QUOTE Thanks
Rogerbrett

With regard to spending a substantial amount on an iPad, therefore I should buy an iPhone. My N95 cost me more than an iPhone when it was new!
That's why I want to keep it but I need an update-able calendar as well!
I've just tried to sync my wife's cheap Samsung android using Bluetooth but while the phone recognises the iPad, the iPad says unsupported device.
Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
bazanders

bazanders will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB

Read my last post if you use google cal, you DONT sync the phone with the ipad but with Google Calendar, THIS then syncs with the calendar on the ipad, simples. You can then put a meeting, appointment, whatever in the ipads calendar, it then syncs to google then to your phone and vice versa. This way your phone doesn't have to be compatible with the ipad, or imac or any osx ios device. it only has to be able to use google calendar, i.e. ANY android phone. There is no sync button to click on everything happens automatically, you put in an entry on your phone and its on your ipad, laptop PC, instantly.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Bluetooth sync with phones is not possible on the iPad. The Bluetooth implementation in iOS devices is limited to certain functions only.
QUOTE Thanks
Rogerbrett

Thanks for the long reply but I am still struggling!
I have managed to sync my google calendar with the iPad calendar but not the other way round. Ie. if I make an entry in the google calendar it appears on the iPad calendar but if I make an entry on the iPad calendar then it doesn't sync anywhere.
Also when I try to sync the google calendar from my asus laptop with my Android phone (Samsung E250i) using bluetooth then nothing happens.
I know there must be a simple solution but I can't find it.
More help in idiot proof steps would be much appreciated.
I actually read somewhere that Microsoft exchange would sync calendars with Nokia phones like my N95 but can't see how.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

If you want idiot-proof, dump the Nokia and get an iPhone.

You can certainly do two-way sync without having to go that far, but it won't be idiot-proof.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Periodic maintainence | From iPAD to MiniMac »