New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Periodic maintainence

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bucky1

bucky1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2007 Mac Mini Core 2 Duo. Running Snow Leopard

I'm running OSX 10.5 and wanted to know what (if any) maintenance should be run on the Mac. I have the swirling colored beach ball when opening applications.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Download and install the free maintenance cleanup utility OnyX. Make sure though that you download the version for Leopard. The latest on his website is for Lion. Look below the main heading and you'll see the older versions for download.
QUOTE Thanks
bucky1

Is there anything that I need to know about OnyX ? Anything to be sure I do or don't do ?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Im not sure of Oynx as i use MainMenu Here is a free .v . . . but if it has list with Reindexing Spotlight and Remove .DS_Store files then there is no real need to run them. As reindexing could take hrs to do depending the size of your HD.
Someone else could pop in with Dont's as if you get it wrong with Oynx you can bugger the OS.
I like MM because of the ease of use and does what Oynx does.

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
PatM

PatM is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina

I use Oynx and have never had a problem with it at all. It's a pretty simple program to use. You can do a search and get a lot of information about the program. It's actually the only program that I use to "Fix" things on my Mac. Most of the knowledge about this program came from this web site and thus far no problems.

15 " 2013 MBP OS X Ver. 10.9.1 16 GB Memory, 500 GB SSD, Retina, 2.3 Ghz I7, 30GB IPhone 5, 2012 Mini Cooper JCW Coupe, 2014 Toyota Corolla, 2007 Trailblazer, 2 RC Planes, 1 fantastic wife who puts up with my toys. Still Married After 30 Years.
QUOTE Thanks
bucky1

Thanks to all of you for your comments. I will download onyx this evening and run it.

Scott
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky1 View Post
Thanks to all of you for your comments. I will download onyx this evening and run it.

Scott
I think that you will be fine with Onyx...as long as you don't "veer" from the default settings (preselected check boxes). I think that some of the "non-selected" check boxes (if selected) could cause issues if you don't fully understand what these features do.

Just stick to the default settings...and you'll be fine. Also regarding the "beach balls"...read the link in my signature.

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky1 View Post
I have the swirling colored beach ball when opening applications.
That means a process is still running. If it doesn't stop, you're "hung". This could be due to insufficient RAM.
QUOTE Thanks
PatM

PatM is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I think that you will be fine with Onyx...as long as you don't "veer" from the default settings (preselected check boxes). I think that some of the "non-selected" check boxes (if selected) could cause issues if you don't fully understand what these features do.

Just stick to the default settings...and you'll be fine. Also regarding the "beach balls"...read the link in my signature.

Good luck,

- Nick
Good advice, it's what I do and it works well. Truthfully if you don't load your computer up with a lot of garbage or untrustworthy software you will only use this program maybe once or twice per year. At least that has been my experience thus far.

15 " 2013 MBP OS X Ver. 10.9.1 16 GB Memory, 500 GB SSD, Retina, 2.3 Ghz I7, 30GB IPhone 5, 2012 Mini Cooper JCW Coupe, 2014 Toyota Corolla, 2007 Trailblazer, 2 RC Planes, 1 fantastic wife who puts up with my toys. Still Married After 30 Years.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Also, how full is the hard drive?
QUOTE Thanks
bucky1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Also, how full is the hard drive?
Chas, the capacity is 74.2GB, with 43.08GB being available. I will be moving my music and photo files to the external HD to free up more room on the internal HD. This should help with the issue as well, correct?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Not really. You have plenty of free space available given the size of that (incredibly tiny by today's standards) drive. I was just asking because spinning beachballs and laggy performance are often a sign that the hard drive is approaching full. In your case that's not the issue.
QUOTE Thanks
TilkiliKiz

TilkiliKiz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Processor:2.7GHz Intel Core, 4GB 1333 MHz, Mac OS X Lion, 27 in. display

May I ask on the topic of periodic maintenance?

I will likely be using OnyX as well but I had a question as to about how often that should be done? Are there any signs that could happen that could mean I should try to run maintenance? Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

There's no hard and fast rule about this. I run mine every three months or so, and I run my Mac all day, every day.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Importing Photos to iPhoto? Can I delete the files? | Syncing with mobile phone »