New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Printer Installation on an iMac + Other keyboard, mouse

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TilkiliKiz

TilkiliKiz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Processor:2.7GHz Intel Core, 4GB 1333 MHz, Mac OS X Lion, 27 in. display

Still learning the ropes of Mac, I've only had mine for almost a month now. So consider me quite new to Mac OS.

1.For printers, can you just plug in the printer to a usb port? Or is there some kind of drivers I need to dl and install first?

2. I guess here i can also ask about alternative external hardware. Is it possible to use say, a logitech keyboard and mouse with the Mac OS?

My Mac came with a wireless mouse and keyboard. They do look really spiffy however i have used wireless mouse/Keyboard before (years ago on my Windows PC) and honestly I didn't like having to change the battery, because it would always seem to die at the WORST possible times, like doing my MMO games! (Though I don't play those anymore, my mac is for my classes these days.
QUOTE Thanks
TilkiliKiz

Mac Specs: Processor:2.7GHz Intel Core, 4GB 1333 MHz, Mac OS X Lion, 27 in. display

Addendum.

Ive been studying and learning the Turkish language for over a year now. My old PC had a logitech keyboard that had Turkish letters, and while it was connected to the PC, you had the option of toggling between using the keyboard with English configuration, or Turkish configuration.

Basically I want to be able to type Turkish letters. Thats why I was asking before if i can use the logitech Keyboard. Or does Apple offer keyboards that can do the same thing?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

As long as the Logitech keyboard has a USB connector it should work. But you will also have to go into System Preferences, Language & Text, Keyboard, Input Sources, and change the input method to Turkish.

Unless you change the input source the keyboard may output Roman characters not Turkish. (even though it's a Turkish keyboard)
QUOTE Thanks
TilkiliKiz

Thanks chscag for the tip. And apologies for double posting to that other topic.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

For most printers, all you need to do is plug it in and turn it on. The Mac will almost always auto-configure the printer all by itself UNLESS we are talking about a pretty old model or (less common, but it happens) something so brand new Apple hasn't added a driver for it yet.

You can confirm this by simply attaching the printer, turning it on and checking under System Preferences, Print & Scan. If your printer's model number/name appears in the left hand column, you are good to go.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« download and save word doc | Organizing Files on mac »