Apple Mac Mini Desktop - MA205LL/A
    new to me.
    i got a friend who is shipping me a Apple Mac Mini Desktop - MA205LL/A
    that he says works but he erase the hard drive and doesn't have org. discs for it. He said he was running os 10.4. My question is what do i need to buy has far has a os to install on machine. And is there any kind of instructions on how to go about installing the os on a mac. I'm not a mac person it will be my first. I know pc and install os on them but lose on mac.
    thanks
    allen

Specs:
    Mac Mini PowerPC G4 Mac OS X 10.5.8 120 GIG HDD Ethernet
    You will need a specific model disc to install on the Mac Mini. The Mac Mini that a friend sold to me , gave me the original Mac OS 9 Installation Disc which was a grey disc but was specific for my Mac Mini G4 PowerPC. You need to find out if he was running Mac OS 9 before he updated to 10.4?

I'm sorry I could be wrong here. Unless you can tell me what your Mac Mini is?

Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by auctioneeral View Post
    new to me.
    i got a friend who is shipping me a Apple Mac Mini Desktop - MA205LL/A
    that he says works but he erase the hard drive and doesn't have org. discs for it. He said he was running os 10.4. My question is what do i need to buy has far has a os to install on machine. And is there any kind of instructions on how to go about installing the os on a mac. I'm not a mac person it will be my first. I know pc and install os on them but lose on mac.
    thanks
    allen
    This is what you need, $29 direct from Apple, Snow Leopard OS X 10.6
    Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

EDIT: Here are the installation instructions (you will have a hard copy in the box with your OS Disk)
    http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...structions.pdf
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

thanks razormac. will order os today from apple.
    Now some more questions.
    keyboard and mouse will have to be a apple product correct. i cann't use a keyboard and mouse from a pc correct. Also will i need that dvi to vga adapter to connect my monitor to it.

Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by auctioneeral View Post
    thanks razormac. will order os today from apple.
    Now some more questions.
    keyboard and mouse will have to be a apple product correct. i cann't use a keyboard and mouse from a pc correct. Also will i need that dvi to vga adapter to connect my monitor to it.
    You can use basically any USB or Wireless (may need a Dongle for some) Keyboard or Mouse. Obviously, with a PC Keyboard you won't have the Mac specific keys.

In my opinion it is hard to beat the Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic TrackPad combination, but it is a bit pricey.
    I started with (I believe Logitech Mac Keyboard) and switched early this year and I am sorry I waited, but preferences vary.

As far as Video, I have a newer Mini and haven't used an older one, but yes, I believe you will need an adapter to go from DVI to VGA.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Thread Information