New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

HELP me backup please.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mac-Clyde

Mac-Clyde is on a distinguished road

Running 10.5.8, I would like to backup to a dvd and realize this is old school thinking and have been told to goto pref. advanced and set it up. There is no option to backup anywhere not to cd, dvd or ext. drive. I find it hard to believe that the only option is signing up to let apple do it for 25.00 a year. Man life forms are slipping when everything becomes a monthly service.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Time Machine is what you're looking for - and it only backs up to external hard drives. It's completely automated - that is, you just "set it and forget it".

How to Use Time Machine on a Mac Leopard 10.5 | wikiHow

Writeable CDs/DVDs are not an ideal backup medium because contrary to popular belief, they do begin to degrade over time and will eventually be unreadable. Commercially pressed discs are more stable, but writeable discs use chemical processes to be written to and those chemicals cause the disc to have a finite lifespan.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Mini_mi

Mini_mi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme

Another option is to make an image of the files/folders you want to back up. Then write the image to your cd/dvd drive. Won't be automatic but will do for manual periodic backing up of just the items you want to save.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Or...
Create a Burn Folder (Finder, File, New Burn Folder), copy the files to that and then burn to DVD (File Burn xxx).

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Good Mp3 players compatible with mac? | Email body copy reverts to another font »