New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Permissions ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fitzy17

fitzy17 is an unknown at this point

I just purchased a new Macbook Pro and I have moved my files the old computer to the new. I have located the new folder and files in the new HD but I cannot open them to move them as it says that I need permission. Please offer direction on how to get permission to open the files that have been transferred.

On another note, is there any easy way to push the files to the locations they need to go to so as to be able to see them as they appeared on the old machine?

I have attached a screen shot to show the message I'm receiving.

Screen Shot 2011-12-09 at 7.29.18 PM.png
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

a. Smack yourself for not using Migration Assistant to move your files, this is EXACTLY the problem using MA avoids.

b. Frankly, it would be faster and easier for you to start over again and this time do things properly than try to a) fix permissions and b) move files for each of the thousands of files you likely have.
QUOTE Thanks
fitzy17

Thanks for the quick response, i'm just coming out of the daze from the good smack I just gave myself. Any chance you could direct me on how to start over? Also, I may be wrong but I thought that I did transfer my files using MA and my Time Capsule, any thoughts? And please, I don't want to hit myself again, I'm still dizzy from the first time.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Not sure what happened to screw up the permissions, but if you Get Info on a File or Folder you will see the permissions in the bottom of the Get Info window. Click to enable changes and give yourself full permissions (assuming you are logged in with Admin rights).

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
fitzy17

Thanks for the tip Razormac, I gave this a try and while I was able to get the lock unlocked it did not change the status of the files. Still no access. Any follow up thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb

Once you've unlocked the lock, you have to check the relevant permissions box, it won't do it automatically.

Play the guitar?! Check out the [newly created]Mac-Forums guitar thread!
QUOTE Thanks
fitzy17

Mission Accomplished, thanks for the help, that was easier than I thought, I just wish now that I hadn't cracked myself in the head, likely would have been even easier. Again, thanks to all for your help, this forum is awesome even though my head still hurts.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« removing songs from Macbook Air | My Mac will not boot. »