New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Best Keyboard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dcairns

dcairns is on a distinguished road

I got a 2011 Mac Mini Server 3 months ago and have been slowly moving things over from my old PC. I have the aluminum Apple keyboard with numeric keypad, and have given it my best shot at liking it. But it is quite frankly awful for me. I miss the slight dishing on the tops of the keys that regular keyboards have (helps me keep centered) as well as being able to feel the edges of some keys, so I can hit them without looking. I tried the Matias Tactile Pro Keyboard 3.0, but it was way too noisy. Other than that, I liked it, although black would be more practical. I see there is a Macally USB Slim Keyboard (ICEKEYB) available, but it seems to have flat tops on the keys and I am unsure about how loud it is. It does not have too be silent, just medium to quiet. Any other suggestions? I don't want to use a Windows keyboard, it is annoying identifying it every boot up and I am not sure how you manage without the special mac key.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I can see you're not an IBM guy.... I love the Matias keyboard because it does remind me of the old IBM click and clack keyboards that weighed a ton. The problem I have with the Matias is that it's overpriced.

Finding the right keyboard is of course a matter of choice - having said that, I agree with trying the Macally model. MacMall has them at a very good price.
QUOTE Thanks
dcairns

Back in the 80's I loved those IBM keyboards. But that was when computers were a lot noisier. Now I work from home, where it is quiet. In fact, one of the attractions of the Mini is how quiet it is.
QUOTE Thanks
Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision

Thanks for the posts. I just switched from a PC to a New iMac and although the keyboard is very slick looking and neat it is not for me. The funny thing is now I have two of them. I bought one for my iPad as well. I want an old school Commodore 64 clunker that makes so much noise that my neighbors will call the police.

I think the link to Macmall was exactly what I was looking for
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
dcairns

Well, I got the Macally ICEKEY in black and it is much closer to what my fingers and ears like. Although the height of the keys on the Matias Tactile Pro is much better than the ICEKEY.
QUOTE Thanks
Ghost Rider

Does it have the clunkyness and clicks we old PC users are used too?

If so this may be my new keyboard.
QUOTE Thanks
dcairns

No Macally ICEKEY is not clunky and the clicks are very soft. It could have a bit less force to press a key.

The Matias Tactile Pro has the old IBM PC keyboard kind of feel and sound.
QUOTE Thanks
infocusinc

infocusinc will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,

I like lighted keyboards and although it's not Mac specific I i use a Logitech wired and back-lit board...and a bluetooth Mac board.

Craig Lamson - Craig Lamson Photo

www.craiglamson.com
QUOTE Thanks
Ghost Rider

Thanks for the recommendation on the Matias Tactile Pro but its close to 150 dollars and is not wireless. If it was wireless I would find one on ebay.

Any new wireless keyboard clunkers that are compatible with the Imac?
The Logitech ones look nice I did not realize you could use those with Imacs. I will check those out at Bestbuy.
QUOTE Thanks
Badia

Badia is on a distinguished road

Apple builds the highest quality products and that has not changed with their keyboard dock.Many people will also complain the lack of a physical mouse but again, the iPad is designed to be touch screen. You will have to use the screen to perform a lot of the iPad functions.
QUOTE Thanks
Ghost Rider

Thanks for the reply, for me the keyboard will be for the IMac. I hardly use my keyboard for my IPad now. when I get my new wireless keyboard I will have two extra apple keyboards as backups.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I can see you're not an IBM guy.... I love the Matias keyboard because it does remind me of the old IBM click and clack keyboards that weighed a ton. The problem I have with the Matias is that it's overpriced.
I have the Matias, and I love the way it feels and sounds. I refuse to use the current flat-key Apple model, and they keys are always binding up on my old clear-plastic, fixed-angle Apple keyboard. The only thing I don't like about the Tactile Pro is the size; I wish the keys were bigger. It's actually a little smaller than the clear-plastic Apple.

I don't think it's overpriced at all. The original Apple Extended Keyboard II mechanical-switch keyboard cost $200, and that was back when $200 could buy you a new Dusenberg, a pocketwatch, and a fine silk top hat, with change left over for lunch at the Automat.
QUOTE Thanks
bazanders

bazanders will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB

Have a look at the logitech k750 solar/wireless k/board mac version. http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboa...d/devices/8424
Sorry ignore that just noticed you dont like the apple keyboard, so you wont like this id imagine, I should learn to read posts properly
QUOTE Thanks
Ghost Rider

Will this Apple Wireless Keyboard Model Number A1016 work with new Imacs? A guy has a brand new one still in the box and offered it to me for $35.00.
He said it was very old school and I googled it and it looks like from the 80's so I am in love with it.
If this will work I will buy it tomorrow
QUOTE Thanks
Ghost Rider

Would this keyboard also have the media keys such as eject? thanks for your help on this.
This would be for the A1016 keyboard.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Downloads folder | download and save word doc »