New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

MBP 2011 or 2012?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Z31daG33k

Z31daG33k is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iPhone 4s 32GB IOS 5.0.1 / MBP 2011 2.2GHz intel i7 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, OSX 10.8

Hay, I am new to this forum (and the world of mac) I am currently a Windows user And WAS a windows fan and Mac hatter, I grew up on windows and never really gave mac a chance but after getting an iPod touch I thought. "If this is so awesome why would mac computers suck?" And decided to do a LOT of research and finally came to the decision
to switch to Mac so I was planning on getting a Macbook Pro 2011 15" or 17" But knowing that it would be a hefty fee along with hearing rumors of macbook pro 2012 I and have a new problem I don't know if I should empty my wallet for a soon to be out of date Macbook 2011 or if I should wate for the macbook 2012 so I will be up to date and don't have to go threw the hassle of selling a macbook 2011 for money for a macbook 2012 I just wanted to know what mac users think about this problem of mine and wold also like to know some of the rumors (and if some have been confirmed or not) Also any idea of a release date?
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10

Welcome to the forums ....
The MacBook Pro 2011 will not be out of date soon -_-
If that machine fits your needs , then go for it now .... why wait for a new machine with unknown specs and an unknown release date .

You can always wait for something newer, brighter, sexier ... and wait ... and wait -_-
There will always be something new on the horizon.

My 2 cents

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
Z31daG33k

Mac Specs: iPhone 4s 32GB IOS 5.0.1 / MBP 2011 2.2GHz intel i7 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, OSX 10.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBie View Post
Welcome to the forums ....
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBie View Post
The MacBook Pro 2011 will not be out of date soon -_-
If that machine fits your needs , then go for it now .... why wait for a new machine with unknown specs and an unknown release date .
That is a good point don't know if i can wate till an unknown date...
But the only thing I am worrying about is if it comes out like a month after I get the 2011 model but I guess they would announce it more than a month before it comes out so I just sudden worry about it.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all

Well, there is always a risk in buying something and then a new model comes out soon after that, but that doesn't mean that the machine you bought is " Out of date ".

I understand your concern, and in the end, you will be the person to make the decision -_-.

Personally, if the current model fits my needs, I am going for it and I can start enjoying the machine without waiting for D-Day .... whenever that is ( Only Apple knows )

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Should we go ahead and sticky this since we'll probably see a bunch of these over the next few months.
QUOTE Thanks
zacster

zacster is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel iMac 20" Core Duo 256mb VRam 115gb SSD 2gb Ram Finally!!!

Let's look at Intel's pipeline. SandyBridge was introduced early 2011 and was a major boost in processing, with added on-board video processing, and a host of other features that I don't even understand. IvyBridge is coming next, but the main development is smaller size, not a performance boost. That isn't to say it won't be faster, or feature an incrementally faster clock speed, but it won't be leaps and bounds different.

After IvyBridge, Intel will take advantage of the smaller size and manufacturing changes to incorporate even more features to make it a lot faster. That won't be until 2013 at the least.

Basically, the 2011 MBP will be good for at least another 2 years, and beyond that too. I wouldn't wait. If you want to completely future proof, get an i7 processor in it, an SSD, and load it up with memory. Just don't buy the memory from Apple as they charge too much. (I just checked and the i7 is standard in the 15" and 17" models, but there is a faster version available, for an additional amount of course.)
QUOTE Thanks
Z31daG33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacster View Post
Basically, the 2011 MBP will be good for at least another 2 years, and beyond that too. I wouldn't wait. If you want to completely future proof, get an i7 processor in it, an SSD, and load it up with memory. Just don't buy the memory from Apple as they charge too much. (I just checked and the i7 is standard in the 15" and 17" models, but there is a faster version available, for an additional amount of course.)
Yea ill probably just get the current MBP as opposed to waiting for the new one I just wanted to see what people who own a mac (unlike me) thought and Just wondering, what is so good about an SSD as opposed to just a standard hard-drive durability or what? Oh, and how good is the performance of an i7 processor compared to i5 is it worth the extra money?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

In reverse order:

1. IF all factors were equal (number of processors, clock speed etc), then the i7 and the i5 wouldn't be that far apart, maybe 20 percent. But factors are not equal there, so yes the i7 is worth it if you can afford it.

2. The big selling point of SSD is speed, speed, speed. Its technology produces WAY faster read times and (slightly less fast but still whoa! fast) write times over conventional hard drives. It can be quite startling for people used to hard drives. The disadvantages you already likely know -- cost (higher) and capacity (not as much).

Do they last just as long? That's hard to say, since they haven't been out on the market really long enough to fully judge, but early evidence indicates that they should actually last LONGER, being less prone to shock. OTOH, the memory cells of an SSD have a finite life and without proper (automated) management by the computer, SSDs will gradually slow down in the same way that batteries gradually lose the ability to fully charge.

Bottom line, people tend to replace their notebooks every 4-5 years in the Mac world, the drive should be fine for that length of time.
QUOTE Thanks
afriqueart

afriqueart is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

I, too was a PC Guy. Managed a network of 1500 PC desktops. Thought they were the end all machines.

I went Macbook Pro earlier this year and couldn't be happier. I don't even turn on my desktop any more.

Take the plunge. When a newer MBP comes out, upgrade. You won't be disappointed!
QUOTE Thanks
Z31daG33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
2. The big selling point of SSD is speed, speed, speed. Its technology produces WAY faster read times and (slightly less fast but still whoa! fast) write times over conventional hard drives. It can be quite startling for people used to hard drives. The disadvantages you already likely know -- cost (higher) and capacity (not as much).
How fast is "whoa! fast" Megabytes per second, Gigabytes per second, Terabytes per second.... (Joking about that last one)
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
In reverse order:

1. IF all factors were equal (number of processors, clock speed etc), then the i7 and the i5 wouldn't be that far apart, maybe 20 percent. But factors are not equal there, so yes the i7 is worth it if you can afford it.

Do they last just as long? That's hard to say, since they haven't been out on the market really long enough to fully judge, but early evidence indicates that they should actually last LONGER, being less prone to shock. OTOH, the memory cells of an SSD have a finite life and without proper (automated) management by the computer, SSDs will gradually slow down in the same way that batteries gradually lose the ability to fully charge.

Bottom line, people tend to replace their notebooks every 4-5 years in the Mac world, the drive should be fine for that length of time.
This automation is built into Win7. Does the most recent OS X have the same ability? I would hope so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z31daG33k View Post
How fast is "whoa! fast" Megabytes per second, Gigabytes per second, Terabytes per second.... (Joking about that last one)
Google

You can see comparisons of start up times and everything else with a SSD to a standard HDD.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
Z31daG33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
Google

You can see comparisons of start up times and everything else with a SSD to a standard HDD.
Oh yea, Good idea i'll just google it

"Technology is only a tool-the end product, the thing that does matter is the experience." - Reggie Fils-Aime
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

Startup times are totally irrelevant these days, since most machines are not switched off anymore.
Open the lid, do work,close the lid .... next day same ritual.
I am much faster operational than any SSD -_-
The only time when I " startup " my MBP is when Apple Software Update asks me to do so.
Been doing that for the last 4 years, so I am not bothered with boot times.

My 2 cents.

Cheers ... McBie

QUOTE Thanks
zacster

zacster is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel iMac 20" Core Duo 256mb VRam 115gb SSD 2gb Ram Finally!!!

Not just startup from power down, but startup of programs, loading of images, opening files, switching users... And it is so fast to boot up maybe you would power down, although I don't myself either. But I do have auto logoff, even though it is just a house computer with 3 kids using it besides my wife and myself. It comes on to any account so fast it doesn't matter.

Given how little real processing I do, it really does make a difference on my slow processor machine.
QUOTE Thanks
bazanders

bazanders will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
This automation is built into Win7. Does the most recent OS X have the same ability? I would hope so.

Google

Only if you buy the ssd from apple, if you put your own ssd in, trim is not officially supported,(sucks i know) though there is a 3rd party app to enable it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Couple of questions? | Help, I can't restore my purchases! »