New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Data Backup Issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Shanet

Shanet is on a distinguished road

I am fairly new to the Mac Platform in performing backups and want to know the best strategy for doing backups. I currently have a centralized hard drive at my home that stores all music, video and other important files. I then have a mac and three PC's that share this centralized file share.

The files are a variety of file types ranging from Excel, Open Office, Word Documents, PDF's, as well as all types of itunes items such as music video and items within iPhoto.

My plan is to use a portable 2 TB drive and perform a full backup every four weeks of this centralized share. The portable 2 TB drive is kept at a neighbors house so in case anything happens. My home is Networked with Cat 6 and I have a GB switch so moving files around the network is not an issue, but I want to know the best way to create backups of the centralized share using Mac OS. Should I use Disk utility? Will Time Machine work best for a centralized share?

I would prefer to just copy and paste items until I get into a good routine then automate.. I am a hands on guy..

Thank you for any information you can provide
QUOTE Thanks
hodges

hodges is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook ipad2 iphone4wht ipodtouch(3) ipodnano appletv

Use the Time Machine it works great.
QUOTE Thanks
Shanet

Shanet is on a distinguished road

This will allow me to just back up the centralized data file storage and not the mac system itself.. Will time machine walk me through this?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Everything Old Is New Again (to me at least) | Setting Default Applications »