Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    CyberCrone's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 09, 2011
    Posts
    15
    Which Windows XP runs best on Virtual Box?
    I've been researching options for running Windows on Mac Mini with Lion but since each option seems to have as many detractors as advocates, I'm gonna start with Virtual Box because I can't get out of the cost of a version of Windows and Virtual Box being free is a big attraction.

    As for Windows, 7 is too **** pricey so I'm considering XP not only because it's much cheaper, but because I know for sure all my Windows software will run on it. However, there are several versions of XP (sigh). Can someone tell me which version to buy? Ideally, I'd like to hear from people who are running XP on VB and having good experience.

  2. #2

    louishen's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 22, 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,968
    Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    THere is no performance issues with Windows XP. They all run the same. The only difference is that Microsoft creates Windows XP pro, then takes features out to create the various editions, probably because MS is run by marketing people who think that market segmentation is a good idea when selling an operating system.
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

  3. #3

    CyberCrone's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 09, 2011
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by louishen View Post
    THere is no performance issues with Windows XP. They all run the same. The only difference is that Microsoft creates Windows XP pro, then takes features out to create the various editions, probably because MS is run by marketing people who think that market segmentation is a good idea when selling an operating system.
    Thanks for info. Are you running XP with Virtual Box?

  4. #4

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,947
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    A Windows 7 OEM edition costs about $100, or you can go with an "Upgrade" retail version and that runs about the same. I see no reason to buy XP at this late stage for running in virtualization.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  5. #5

    CyberCrone's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 09, 2011
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    A Windows 7 OEM edition costs about $100, or you can go with an "Upgrade" retail version and that runs about the same. I see no reason to buy XP at this late stage for running in virtualization.
    Thanks for this info. Yes, since I first posted I discovered you're quite right. However, I have read that some people have had issues with older software not running under Windows 7, and since I don't intend to buy any new Windows software* - my use for Windows on Mac will be minimal - or do anything needing Windows 7's new features, I decided to play it safe.

    *The only reason for running XP at all is that I have several programs on my PC that don't have Mac versions and that save data in proprietary formats that are not transferable to any other format, such as MyInfo, which I MUST have, my work is crippled without it. But otherwise I'm going completely Mac.

  6. #6

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,947
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCrone View Post
    Thanks for this info. Yes, since I first posted I discovered you're quite right. However, I have read that some people have had issues with older software not running under Windows 7, and since I don't intend to buy any new Windows software* - my use for Windows on Mac will be minimal - or do anything needing Windows 7's new features, I decided to play it safe.

    *The only reason for running XP at all is that I have several programs on my PC that don't have Mac versions and that save data in proprietary formats that are not transferable to any other format, such as MyInfo, which I MUST have, my work is crippled without it. But otherwise I'm going completely Mac.
    I had a peek at your blog and I just have to compliment you on it. Both the visuals and content are wonderful and unique.

    With that said, I think you'll be surprised to learn that Windows 7 is actually very compatible with most Windows XP software, because in all honesty, it's not all that different from XP "under the hood". There are some new security features that could cause compatibility issues, but they are very few and far between.

    XP is beyond its development cycle, and in fact, Microsoft is getting ready to officially stop supporting it. What this means to you is that they will no longer issue security patches for it, rendering it unsafe to use in any capacity where it will have access to the Internet. I would strongly urge you to check with the vendors who make the software you intend to use to see if their packages are Windows 7 friendly. I think you'll be surprised to find that most, if not all of them, are.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  7. #7

    vansmith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 19, 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,782
    Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    If you're still uncertain, see if the software you need is listed in the Windows 7 compatibility database that MS has available (see here). What software will you be running? Some of us might have experience with it in Windows 7.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

  8. #8

    CyberCrone's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 09, 2011
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    I had a peek at your blog and I just have to compliment you on it. Both the visuals and content are wonderful and unique.

    With that said, I think you'll be surprised to learn that Windows 7 is actually very compatible with most Windows XP software, because in all honesty, it's not all that different from XP "under the hood". There are some new security features that could cause compatibility issues, but they are very few and far between.

    XP is beyond its development cycle, and in fact, Microsoft is getting ready to officially stop supporting it. What this means to you is that they will no longer issue security patches for it, rendering it unsafe to use in any capacity where it will have access to the Internet. I would strongly urge you to check with the vendors who make the software you intend to use to see if their packages are Windows 7 friendly. I think you'll be surprised to find that most, if not all of them, are.
    OH - I wish I had seen this before I bought XP. I didn't think about Microsoft ceasing to support it, altho anyone with a brain ought to realize this - sigh. However, it's probably not a huge mistake because, as I mentioned earlier, I will be using it mainly to run one or two essential programs that create data not transferable to Mac programs, and not much else.

    I'm so pleased you like the blog - I'm proud of the design, which is still in progress (note there is no nav bar yet), and much more content to be added. Some of it about being broke and on the street in L.A. in the 1940s and 1950s.

  9. #9

    CyberCrone's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 09, 2011
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    If you're still uncertain, see if the software you need is listed in the Windows 7 compatibility database that MS has available (see here). What software will you be running? Some of us might have experience with it in Windows 7.
    I already bought XP - should have been patient and waited for replies here. Sigh. This link will be useful, though, because I've been wondering about upgrading my two PCs. Thanks!

  10. #10

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,947
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCrone View Post

    I'm so pleased you like the blog - I'm proud of the design, which is still in progress (note there is no nav bar yet), and much more content to be added. Some of it about being broke and on the street in L.A. in the 1940s and 1950s.
    I'll be looking forward to seeing more of your stories! Count me amongst your fans
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  11. #11

    CyberCrone's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 09, 2011
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    i'll be looking forward to seeing more of your stories! Count me amongst your fans
    8-) 8-) 8-)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. I did it! Virtual Box and Windows 10 on my MBPro
    By lclev in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-13-2015, 02:51 AM
  2. 64 or 32 bit Windows 7 in Virtual Box Matter?
    By CH007 in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-21-2011, 09:45 PM
  3. Issues with OS X Lion and Virtual Box with Windows 7
    By DominicW in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-04-2011, 05:27 PM
  4. Webcam on MSN on Windows 7 Virtual Box
    By rams_man13 in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-26-2009, 10:33 PM
  5. Virtual Box
    By LogicBox in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-14-2009, 10:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •