New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

question mark on dock

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

red-bizkit

red-bizkit is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2GHz Intel Core i7

hi, i have recently downloaded an app from the app store but i decided to uninstall it as i think it is just a waste of space. Looking at my dock now there is a big question mark placed on where the app used to be, can anyone please tell me why is there a question mark on my dock? How do i get rid of it? Appreciate all your help, still quite new with my MBP. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

You'll see a question mark when a Dock icon points to an app that no longer exists. If you've uninstalled that application, you can simply remove the icon from the dock by dragging it off.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
red-bizkit

I have been dragging it out the dock but it won't let me.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Do you get any sort of error message? What app did you install (so I can test it if need be)?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb

Does; Right Click > Options > Remove from dock work?

Play the guitar?! Check out the [newly created]Mac-Forums guitar thread!
QUOTE Thanks
red-bizkit

wow, did the right click and guess what the question mark was replaced by the app icon instead. does this mean the app wasn't properly uninstalled?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

To uninstall apps that were installed through the MAS, you simply drag them to the Trash. If you didn't do that, it wasn't likely uninstalled properly.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
red-bizkit

I have dragged the app to the trash, but the icon is still in the dock with a question mark. The app is called "SKITCH" from the app store, and the right click option does not work either.
QUOTE Thanks
Aqua

Aqua has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini

how do I uninstall skitch completely? <-- this will tell you

invincible ignorance is an example of ignorance that can not be removed by any amount of evidence. It's now a widespread form of pollution. (Revised quote) An apple a day, keeps the psychiatrist away.. If you play a Windows install CD backwards it has satanic verses
QUOTE Thanks
red-bizkit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
hi, was at a lost on how to follow those instructions on your link as i am still a complete noob with my macbook pro. right click-option has work but when i clicked option nothing comes out.
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb

Tis a bit of a strange one this because as its from the MAS, dragging it to the trash should work.

What you could also try is download Appcleaner. This is basically an app that does a more thorough job than dragging to trash does. Once you've installed the app, open it up and then drag the skitch icon over to Appcleaner. Appcleaner will then get rid of ALL files associated with that app.

If I was at my Mac right now I'd test it out, but I'm not.

Play the guitar?! Check out the [newly created]Mac-Forums guitar thread!
QUOTE Thanks
red-bizkit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckoir View Post
Tis a bit of a strange one this because as its from the MAS, dragging it to the trash should work.

What you could also try is download Appcleaner. This is basically an app that does a more thorough job than dragging to trash does. Once you've installed the app, open it up and then drag the skitch icon over to Appcleaner. Appcleaner will then get rid of ALL files associated with that app.

If I was at my Mac right now I'd test it out, but I'm not.
Hi, downloaded the Appcleaner and did what you said, but the icon still remains in the dock. (frustrations kicking in) did the right click-options-(open at log in)-(show in finder) and below options are Show recents and Open. Clicked open and the question mark is now in the Skitch icon. This is doin my head lol
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hard drives | Hard Drive problems »