Thread: Hard drives

Hard drives
    Hi, I am a bit of a newbie to the mac, and I am still learning a few things. I do, however, have a question. I have a 2TB external hard drive from my old windows computer that I have plugged in to my mac. It reads everything fine and I can copy stuff from it to my mac. I can not seem to write on it though. I store a lot of photos and documents on there. Is there a plug in or something that I need to do to be able to save on this again? I have looked around on the computer but have not found anything. I dont want to touch what I know nothing about either.

I hope someone will be able to help me

Modesto, Ca.
    iMac late 2007 10.11.b4, iMac 2008 10.10.5, Macbook2007 10.7.5, Mac Mini 10.7.5, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!
    The drive is most likely formatted NTFS which is a proprietary windows format. OSX can read NTFS, but out of the box it can not write to NTFS.

You have two options. Do you still use the drive with Windows? If not, if you have any way to back up the files, format the drive Mac OSX Extended Journalized and put the data back on.

The other option is Paragon software that will allow OSX to both Read and Write to a Windows NTFS drive.

If you can back up and reformat in Apples format, that would be the best way to go.

Thank you for your reply. I still have my windows computer for now so I will give the first option a go.

Thanks again

Texas, where else?
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    If you're going to remain a multi-OS user as many of us are, I'd recommend grabbing Paragon's NTFS for Mac. Handy tool when you want to direct connect instead of moving data across the network.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

No multi user mate. I have switched to mac for good. Love the iphone and ipad, and now love the mac
    Thanks for your advice

Thread Information