New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Help Please Trying to update software

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CapnFred

CapnFred is on a distinguished road

I am new to Apple computers and I have an I-mac. I went for one to one training today and asked for help on how to use the cloud from my 2 year old 3G iPhone. I was told that I must first update the software in my phone. Right now I am using Version 4.3 software in the i phone. The instructor told me that I should go to iTunes and connect the iPhone to the iMac and upgrade the iPhone system software to the MAC OSX Lion software. I am afraid that I am going to screw this computer up or somehow, mess up the phone. I have never updated any of the software on the phone since I've owned it. I am about to go to iTunes and attempt to synchronize both the phone and the iMac. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks, CapnFred
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Can't help until know what model machine and the operating system sorry.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

The phone os is not the same as the PC os. your iPhone will not ever be able to be upgraded to Lion. Only the PC.

Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes on the PC then plug in the iPhone and open iTunes and have iTunes do the phone os update to iOS 5.0.1.

Oh, and the phone could not be 2 years old and have the 4.3 iOS on it if you have never updated the phone. iOS 4 came out last November, if I remember correctly, so someone updated your phone since you got it.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb

As Harry has said, it's going to be difficult to assist you without knowing your machine and OS.

Couple of things to make sure of though - You say that you are going to upgrade the iPhone software to OSX Lion. You can't. I'm sure you're aware of this but Lion is a Mac OS, what you're wanting is iOS5.

To be able to download iOS5, you need to have the latest version of iTunes which is 10.5.1 which won't run on anything earlier than OS 10.5.

So, assuming your iMac is fairly new, and you're running at least OS 10.5 (Leopard) then this is what you have to do;

Download the latest version of iTunes (10.5.1). Once you've done that, you should just be able to hook up your iPhone to your iMac and iTunes will tell you that there is a software update available, which should be iOS 5.0.1.

Before it performs the download, it will ask you to back up your iPhone. So just perform a sync as normal, then you are good to download the update. Once downloaded, the phone will do a few "strange" things, such as powering down and back up a couple of times. Whilst it's doing this, just leave it be and you shouldn't encounter any problems with it. It will then restore from the back up you made previous, and you're good to go!

But to reiterate what Harry said, we'll be able to give you some more precise information if you told us what model iMac and OS you're running.

Hope that helps somewhat.

EDIT: Didn't mean to just write a more convoluted version of Deckyon's post... It just took me an age to write it!

Play the guitar?! Check out the [newly created]Mac-Forums guitar thread!
QUOTE Thanks
CapnFred

CapnFred is on a distinguished road

Hi, Thank you for your response to my predicament. I was able to upgrade my iPhone to the newest OS iOS5 and was quite easy once I got going. Thank you for you help and for being there when I need you. Sincerely, CapnFred
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macs are Fun :) | A few miscellaneous questions »